We’re supported by moms. When you buy through links on our site, As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a commission.
Becoming a mother is one of the greatest gifts in the world and nothing can compare to a mother’s love for her son. This collection of mother and son quotes will take you on a journey through all the emotions that come with raising boys.
From the very first moments in your arms, the unconditional love that is felt in a mother-son connection is like no other. Throughout your lives, you may set out and start your own separate lives, but the love of a mother remains unchallenged.
If you are struggling to put into words just how much you appreciate the purest love you have, then we have gathered a collection of mother and son quotes that highlight all aspects of the special mother-son bond that will leave you both laughing and crying.
Table of Contents
- 1 Powerful Mother Son Quotes
- 2 Inspirational Mother and Son Quotes
- 3 Emotional Mother and Son Quotes
- 4 Hilarious Mother and Son Quotes
- 5 Loving an Angel Mother and Son Quotes
- 6 Adorable Baby Boy Mother and son quotes
- 7 Raising Sons Quotes
- 8 Quotes about Raising a Teenager
- 9 Mother and Son Religious Quotes
- 10 Mother Son Relationship Quotes
- 11 Pregnancy Mother Son Quotes
- 12 Mother and Son Quotes: Frequently Asked Questions
- 13 Conclusion
Powerful Mother Son Quotes
We know all too well that it takes a strong mother to raise the most thoughtful, respectful, and healthy boys. But finding the right words isn’t easy when you’re trying to summarise a mother-son relationship. You are equally proud and heartbroken to see your little boy grow up. It often comes with struggles between a mother and son but the bond is still there. Here are ten of our favorite mother and son quotes to honor the powerful love and strength a mother has to offer her son.
- “That strong mother doesn’t tell her cub, Son, stay weak so the wolves can get you. She says, Toughen up, this is the reality we are living in.” – Lauryn Hill
- “Men are what their mothers made them.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “I look to my mom for advice, inspiration, and love. That’s the way it should be.” – Unknown
- “There’s a reason some people think they can achieve anything. They listened to their mother.” – Unknown
- “There has never been, nor will there ever be, anything quite so special as the love between the mother and a son.” – Unknown
- “Successful mothers are not the ones that have never struggled. They are the ones that never give up, despite the struggles.” – Sharon Jaynes
- View in gallery“A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.” – Agatha Christie
- “To a child’s ear, “mother” is magic in any language.” – Arlene Benedict
- “Your greatest contribution to the kingdom of God may not be something you do, but someone you raise.” – Andy Stanley
- “In the end, I am the only one who can give my children a happy mother who loves life.” – Janene Wolsey Baadsgaard
Inspirational Mother and Son Quotes
The deep connection felt between a mother and son is unique and these quotes reflect this unique bond and remind you of the everyday love and sacrifices that a mother feels.
Of course, mother-daughter relationships are important too, but these inspirational mother-son quotes for mother’s day or any other occasion will show you the endearing tenderness a mother feels from the very first moments she carried that little boy.
- “The bond between a mother and son lasts a lifetime. The bond between a mother and son is a special one. It remains unchanged by time or distance, and it is the purest love, unconditional and true. It is an understanding of any situation and forgiving of any mistake.” – Unknown
- “My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.” – Unknown
- “To be a mother of a son is one of the most important things you can do to change the world. Raise them to respect women, raise them to stand up for others, raise them to be kind.” – Shannon L. Alder
- View in gallery“Sons worship their mothers, seeing them as flawless, almighty beings who spread love and who can do anything. That is why the most important lesson that a mother can teach her son is respect, love, and how to understand women.” – Unknown
- “When I was a child, my mother said to me, ‘If you become a soldier, you’ll be a general. If you become a monk you’ll end up as the pope.’ Instead, I became a painter and wound up as Picasso.” – Pablo Picasso
- “A mother’s love doesn’t make her son more dependent and timid; it actually makes him stronger and more independent.” – Cheri Fuller
- “A son will always need his mom. Even if he has a wife and children, his mother’s hugs will always keep him warm.” – Unknown
- “I have a son who is my heart. A wonderful young man, daring and loving, strong and kind.” – Maya Angelou
- “As the mother of a son, I do not accept that alienation from me is necessary for his discovery of himself. As a woman, I will not cooperative in demeaning womanly things so that he can be proud to be a man. I like to think the women in my son’s future are counting on me.” – Letty Cottin Porgrebin
- “The mother’s heart is the child’s schoolroom.” – Henry Ward Beecher
- “You may have tangible wealth untold; caskets of jewels and coffers of gold. Richer than you can never be. I had a mother who read to me.” – Strickland Gillilan
Emotional Mother and Son Quotes
A mother’s world becomes a whirlwind from the moment her son enters her life, but she also knows of the happiness it brings to watch her helpless baby boy grow into a wonderful young man. There are so many highs and lows in parenting, but these emotional mother-son quotes will remind you that a mother’s life is a truly blessed one when she is raising sons and that this bond between mother and son lasts a lifetime.
Here are some emotional mother-son quotes that will help others see with their own eyes the greatest joy that is having a son.
- “Mother is her son’s first god; she must teach him the most important lesson of all – how to love.” – T.F. Hodge
- “When you teach your son, you teach your son’s son.” – The Talmud
- “The most important mark I will leave on this world is my son.” – Sarah Shahi
- “Raising boys has made me a more generous woman than I really am. Undoubtedly, there are other routes to learning the wishes and dreams of the presumably opposite sex, but I know of none more direct, or more highly motivating, than being the mother of sons.” – Mary Kay Blakely
- “I spent a lifetime being small for those closest to me but this is not the woman my son will know.” – JewelView in gallery
- “A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest.” – Irish Proverb
- “My mother is not a CIA agent, but she’s an Italian mother, and she’d do anything for her son.” – Adriano Giannini
- “A man never sees all that his mother has been to him until it’s too late to let her know that he sees it.” – W. D. Howells
- “His little hands stole my heart, and his little feet ran away with it.” – Unknown
- “And she loves this little boy more than life itself, she calls him son, and now, he is her hero.” – Unknown
Hilarious Mother and Son Quotes
Becoming a mother is the greatest joy that can be known, but it also has a hilarious side to it that only a mother will know. A mother is your very first friend but this also comes with a wealth of hilarious stories about your little boy which we have highlighted in these mother-son quotes.
These hilarious mother-son quotes are bound to put a smile on your face and make the perfect verse to any birthday or mothers day card.
- “Ah, babies! They’re more than just adorable little creatures on whom you can blame your farts.” – Tina Fey
- “When your children are teenagers, it’s important to have a dog so that someone in the house is happy to see you.” – Nora Ephron
- “Silence is golden. Unless you have Sons. Then silence is just suspicious.” – Unknown
- “If I wasn’t at work, I just wanted to stay home and party with my little man — and by ‘party’ I mean, of course, endless rounds of ‘Itsy Bitsy Spider.” – Olivia Wilde
- “It’s not easy being a mom. If it were easy, fathers would do it” – Betty WhiteView in gallery
- “When your mother asks, ‘Do you want a piece of advice?’ it is a mere formality. It doesn’t matter if you answer yes or no. You’re going to get it anyway.” – Erma Bombeck
- “I do what I want when I want, where I want…if my mom says it’s ok.” – Unknown
- “If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands? – Milton Berle
- “My mom was the person that I most looked up to for her point of view, her humor.” – Ben Stiller
- “Sure, sometimes I question my parenting. But to be honest, sometimes, I question my child’s childing.” – Just Surviving Motherhood
Loving an Angel Mother and Son Quotes
It can be hard to find the words to describe your mother’s love and if you’ve sadly lost your mother then the deep abyss you feel can be indescribable. A mother-son connection is her whole world, and she will always treasure her little boys no matter where she is.
Here are some beautiful and thoughtful angel mother-son quotes that you can use in your mother’s prayers to show the purest love between a mother and son has no limits.
- “All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “If love is as sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.” – Stevie Wonder
- “Love as powerful as your mother’s for you leaves its own mark. To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.” – J.K. Rowling
- “There is something about losing a mother that is permanent and inexpressible – a wound that will never quite heal.” – Susan Wiggs
- “No son and mother ever live apart, no matter what the distance is between them.” – Christie Watson
- “I miss the warmth of your gentle hug and the love I felt when my arms were wrapped around you. I miss seeing your beautiful smile and the sound of your voice saying my name. I miss hearing you say, “I love you” and me saying, “I love you” in return.” – Millie P. Lorenz
- “I cannot forget my mother. She is my bridge. When I needed to get across, she steadied herself long enough for me to run across safely.” – Renita Weems
- “My mother is a never-ending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune.” – Graycie Harmon
- “Her absence is like the sky, spread over everything.” – C.S. Lewis
- “Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.” – Emily Dickinson
- “You can know a thing to death and be for all purposes completely ignorant of it. A man can know his father or his son, and there might still be nothing between them but loyalty and love and mutual incomprehension.” – Marilynne Robinson
Adorable Baby Boy Mother and son quotes
It’s hard to imagine that one day the baby boy you gave birth to will grow up to have their own life away from your eyes. When you carried him you knew you were the only woman that mattered in his whole world and that love lasts for a lifetime.
Here are some of the most adorable baby boy mother son quotes that perfectly encapsulate the feelings every mother understands during those early months with their little boy.
- “I constantly go between wanting you to be my baby forever and being excited about all the amazing things you’ll do in this life.” – Unknown
- “You are loved for the boy you are, the man you will become, and the precious son you will always be.” – Unknown
- “A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.” – Victor Hugo
- “My son is my baby, today, tomorrow, and always. You hurt him, I will hurt you. I don’t care if he’s 1 day or 50 years old, I will defend and protect him all of my life!” – Unknown
- “Happy the boy whose mother is tired of talking nonsense to him before he is old enough to know the sense of it.” – Augustus Hare
- “Sometimes when I need a miracle, I look into my son’s eyes, and realize I’ve already created one.” – Unknown
- “From the moment they placed you in my arms, you snuggled right into my heart.” – Unknown
- “It doesn’t matter how old a son is. Even when he is big and strong he is always a small boy for his mother.” – Unknown
- “His little hands stole my heart, and his little feet ran away with it.” – Unknown
- “Little boys can test your patience, run you ragged, and make you want to pull your hair out. But they will also melt your heart with just one look, and make you wonder how you ever existed before them.” – Katie Bingham Smith
- “Hold him a little longer, rock him a little more, read him another story, you’ve only read him four. Let him rejoice in his happy smile. He is only a little boy, for such a short time.” – Unknown
- “Yet now in my arms, I was holding a helpless baby boy who would grow into a man — I cannot imagine that soft little face one-day having whiskers.” – Rhonda Stoppe
- “You will be his first, his first love, his first friend. You’re his momma and he is your whole world. He is your little boy.” – Unknown
Raising Sons Quotes
Many moms can relate to how a mother feels when the time comes to raise sons. Any mother hopes she will raise heroes that respect women and show empathy and affection to others no matter what.
Those childhood years are some of the most memorable (and messy) but you will soon look back and treasure those times, wondering how your little boy has grown into a teenager! Here are 11 adorable mother-son quotes all about raising your dear son.
- “To be a mother of a son is one of the most important things you can do to change the world. Raise them to respect women, raise them to stand up for others, and raise them to be kind.” – Shannon L Alder
- “If you have a baby, hug him, carry him, look at him, sing to him. Make him the owner of your time. This doesn’t last long, and it never comes back. Everything else can wait.” – Unknown
- “My father died when I was seven, leaving a widow and five sons, ranging in age from five to seventeen. My mother was the most highly disciplined and hardest working person I have ever known, and this, combined with her love and gentleness, enabled her to make a success of each of her children.” – Arthur Lewis
- “Dear son, I will always be here for you. No matter what.” – Unknown
- “You don’t raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they’ll turn out to be heroes, even if it’s just in your own eyes.” – Wally SchirraView in gallery
- “The years will rush by, and one day you will be watching your son as a man, and feeling incredibly proud that he is caring, safe, making a contribution, and hopefully going far beyond you in the scope of his life.” – Steve Biddulph
- “A wise son makes a glad father, But a foolish son is the grief of his mother… A wise son makes a father glad, But a foolish man despises his mother.” – The Proverbs of Solomon
- “Being a mother to a little boy and helping him discover the world is one of the greatest experiences in a woman’s life, which makes objective goals dull in comparison. The connection between a mother and her son opens the gate to a new world of wonder and love.” – Anonymous
- “Moms are as relentless as the tides. They just don’t drive us to practice, they drive us to greatness.” – Steve Rushin
- ”Sons worship their mothers, seeing them as flawless, almighty beings who spread love and who are able to do anything. That is why the most important lesson that a mother can teach her son is to respect, love, and understand women.” – Unknown
- “If a man has been his mother’s undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it.” – Sigmund Freud
- “Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall. A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” – Oliver Wendell Homes Sr
Quotes about Raising a Teenager
A mother’s love knows no limits and the teenage years are no exception, even when your once happy, carefree little boy turns into a sullen, silent teenager. As they grow so fast you can often wonder where your baby boy has gone, and you may find mother’s day is the perfect time for your dearest son to tell you just how much he appreciates his mother’s love.
Here are some mother-son quotes to highlight just how important a mother’s life is as the only woman in the world who would do anything for him.
- “Dear teen: If you don’t hate me at least once during these years, I’m probably not doing my job right.” – Unknown
- Son, I closed my eyes for only a moment and suddenly a man stood where a boy used to be. I may not carry you now in my arms, but I will always carry you in my heart. You have given me so many reasons to be proud of the man you have become, but the proudest moment for me is telling others that you are my son.” – Unknown
- “And she loved a (not so) little boy very, very much, even more than she loved herself.” – Shel Silverstein
- “To my son, never forget that I love you. Life is filled with hard times and good times. Learn from everything you can. Be the man I know you can be.” – Unknown
- “Here we are, sweet boy. Those crazy teenage years are upon us. There is so much happening in your life, your mind, and your body. So much growth and change and emotion. I know it can be exciting and overwhelming at the same time. But, we’ll take each new change, each new feeling, as it comes.” – Unknown
- “Whatever emotional state you’re in while you’re parenting conveys more to your child than the content of what you’re doing with them, no matter how perfect your intervention looks “on paper.” – Michael Y. Simon
- “Nobody ever feels they’re doing well with teenagers, he said. I think that’s kind of the point of them.” – Jojo Moyes
- “When you’re a teenager, ‘No’ is a complete sentence.” – Anonymous
- “When your children are teenagers, it’s important to have a dog so that someone in the house is happy to see you.” – Nora Ephron
- “You try your hardest to raise your teenagers with patience, honesty, and good manners, but they still end up being like you.” – Unknown
Mother and Son Religious Quotes
Mother’s prayers are answered when she is given a dear son to love by their heavenly father. The bible has a large number of verses and mother-son quotes that highlight how a mother is the only good woman that can love a son through anything.
Here are some of the best mother and son quotes from the bibles verses to remind you of the joys raising a son has over all other affections.
- “When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.” John 19:26-27
- “And behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” – Matthew 3:17
- “When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you” – John 17:1
- “Listen to your father who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old. Buy the truth, and do not sell it; buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding. The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice; he who fathers a wise son will be glad in him. Let your father and mother be glad; let her who bore you rejoice.” – Proverbs 23:22-25
- “Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: ‘Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.’” – Proverbs 31:28-31
- “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” – 3 John 1:4
- “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.” – Exodus 20:12
- “Bear with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgive each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.” – Colossians 3:13
- “Mothers wielding Bibles, contemplating smearing the blood of lamb chops over her doorway. Anything to keep her son alive another day.” – Antonia Perdu 44
Mother Son Relationship Quotes
Even if a mother is the only woman to unconditionally love her son, then he is still lucky to be blessed with the truest friend and needs no other affection. Of course a father-son relationship is also important, but a mother and son have a closeness that compares to no other. There are many ways that a mother and son can nurture this bond from fun days out or even corresponding tattoos.
Here are some mother and son quotes to highlight the endearing tenderness in a relationship between mother son.
- ” No man succeeds without a good woman behind him. Wife or mother, if it is both, he is twice blessed indeed.” – Godfrey Winn
- “Maybe, destiny and fate could have given you better parents than us. But nothing could have given us a better son than you. I love you, son, you’re the best.” – Unknown
- “A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.” – Washington Irving
- “My daughter and two sons are the flowers in my heart and garden.” – Ana Monnar
- “We’ve begun to raise daughters more like sons … but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters.” – Gloria Steinem
- “To a mother, a son is never a fully grown man; and a son is never a fully grown man until he understands and accepts this about his mother.” – Unknown
- “The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.” – Honoré de Balzac
Pregnancy Mother Son Quotes
Pregnancy is an overwhelming time for many women with so much anticipation making the wait to discover the gender of the baby feels like a lifetime! Whether you are reading mother-son quotes in anticipation, or have already found out you are having a baby boy, these mother and son quotes will highlight the purest love that is felt like the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.
You will be sure to start looking for some mother and son quotes to make any gender reveal or congratulations card feel unique and personal for the mom after she gave birth.
- “You are proof that love before first sight does exist.” – Araceli M. Ream
- “You never understand life until it grows inside of you.” – Sandra Chami Kassis
- “Part of being a parent is rolling with the punches, so consider an unexpected pregnancy the universe’s way of helping you to learn to do that.” – Heather Wittenberg
- “Being pregnant means every day is another day closer to meeting the other love of my life.” – Unknown
- “Pregnancy can be a time when you take tremendous pleasure in eating, not only because you may enjoy food more but also because you know that it is nourishing both you and your baby.” – Martha Rose and Jane L. DavisView in gallery
- “A new baby is like the beginning of all things – wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities.” – Eda LeShan
- “A mother’s joy begins when new life is stirring inside… when a tiny heartbeat is heard for the very first time, and a playful kick reminds her that she is never alone.” – Unknown
- “To be pregnant is to be vitally alive, thoroughly woman, and distressingly inhabited. Soul and spirit are stretched – along with body – making pregnancy a time of transition, growth, and profound beginnings.” – Anne Christian Buchanan
Mother and Son Quotes: Frequently Asked Questions
How can I express my love to my son?
There are so many ways you can express the love and gratitude you have for your son. Some mother and son quotes such as “All my life I have loved you” or “You’re not just my son. You are my reason for living” may bring your son a reminder of how his mother remains unchallenged in her love for you. Have a look through our list of relatable and honest mother-son quotes to find something your son will love.
What does a mother wish for her son?
All mothers wish for their sons to be known as wise learned one who has been loved since before they entered the world. Here are some other short and sweet mother-son quotes.
- You are my pride and joy
- You are the apple of my eye
- You are second to none
- I appreciate you so much, son.
How can I get my son to talk to me?
Often throughout tougher teenage years it can be hard to see your son change and seem to close off to the people closest to them. Asking open-ended questions and not forcing a conversation can be the easiest ways to get your son to open up more and being understanding of their individual opinions and intentions can invite future conversations to flow much easier. Parental relationships are unique, so don’t feel the need to force conversation, maybe try using one of our mother-son quotes to remind them how much you care.
What does a mother mean to a son?
A mother-son duo provides the foundations for the first true friend and life-long companion any son will have. Our collection of mother-son quotes perfectly sums up what it means to have this special connection that only just his mother’s son will understand.
Every mother is told they will never know love like the love they feel for their child–and this is the case no matter their age. Even if the boy is a grown man with children of his own, the love that is felt between a mother and son is unquestionable.
Raising children is one of the hardest jobs you will face with so many milestones as well as unmistakable highs and lows. Seeing your son shine is the reward that all mothers find priceless and mother-son quotes are sometimes the best way to summarise what is often difficult to put into words.
Finding the right words whether that be to put in a card, email or even a text message can be a challenging task for anybody which is why we so often opt for the pre-written verses on cards that are available today. Maybe the next time you want to celebrate the special bond between mother and son you could try one of the great mother-son quotes to help you put into words how much you love them.
Do you have a favorite quote that reminds you of the relationship you have with your little boy? Why not drop it in the comments and share it with us!