We’re supported by moms. When you buy through links on our site, As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a commission.
Breastfeeding is a great way to bond with your baby and many say a mother’s milk can prevent future health issues and boost mental capacity in a child.
However, breastfeeding does not come easily to all women. Some babies simply don’t want to latch on. There can also be issues with milk production. Some women just don’t produce enough milk to feed their babies adequately.
Fortunately, there are things women can do to increase their milk production. Some people say a sports drink called Body Armor can be beneficial. This article will look at Body Armor Drink for breastfeeding to determine whether it’s effective in increasing milk supply.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Breastfeeding
There are many reasons women will want to be breastfeeding their children. Here are some of the benefits it can provide for your baby.
- Causes less diarrhea, constipation and other digestive problems than store bought products
- Reduces the risk of viruses and infection in the body
- Reduces the risk of SIDS
- Makes vaccines more effective
- Makes babies smarter
- Reduces the risk of obesity
- Reduces the risk of allergies
- Promotes bonding between the mother and child
What Causes Low Milk Production?
There are many reasons mothers might experience low milk production. These include the following:
- Supplementing with Formula: Supplementing with formula can turn your baby off to breastmilk
- Infrequent Feedings: New moms may not want to feed often due to fatigue or soreness of the breasts. However, infrequent feeding can cause milk supply to dry up.
- Short Feedings: if you’re doing short feedings, around five minutes per breast, your breasts won’t be sufficiently drained. This will keep your breasts from producing milk.
- Pacifiers: Giving your baby a pacifier will make them less inclined to suck. Women need suckling activity to help them produce milk.
What is Body Armor Drink?
The Body Armor drink was created in 2011 by Mike Repole. It is rich in vitamins and electrolytes, high in potassium and low in sodium. One of its main ingredients is coconut water. It contains no artificial flavors or sweeteners.
The drink is only 20 calories and has just 2 grams of sugar per bottle. It provides superior hydration and is made for those with an active lifestyle.
In 2013, Kobe Bryant became one of the top shareholders in the Body Armor company. Coca-Cola joined the team in 2018 buying a minority share that made them the second largest shareholder behind Repole.
The Science Behind Body Armor Drink for Breastfeeding
There is no scientific proof that Body Armor Drink for breastfeeding is effective in increasing milk supply. However, many breastfeeding mothers say it works for them and there is some science behind their thinking. Let’s look at why Body Armor has the potential to increase milk production.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is said to be beneficial to menstruating mothers that are breastfeeding. When taken in combination with calcium before you start your period, it can combat the loss of milk supply that typically occurs during menstruation.
- Coconut Water: Coconut water provides the ultimate in hydration. Staying hydrated is important to breastfeeding mothers who may be losing a quart of milk a day.
- Electrolytes: Breastfeeding and sweating can cause you to lose electrolytes. Body Armor is rich in electrolytes and they replenish a mother’s body after they have breastfed their babies.
- Filtered Water: Body Armor also contains filtered water which is essential to hydration making it beneficial to pregnant mothers.
How Much Body Armor Should I Drink a Day to Increase My Breast Milk Supply?
The amount of Body Armor you should drink to increase your milk supply can vary from woman to woman. Some women say one bottle of day should do the trick while others recommend 2-5. It is best for women to start off slowly to see how the drink effects them and whether it is working to increase their milk production and go from there.
Women should also be aware that there are different types of Body Armor products and some are higher in sugar and calories than other. To maintain optimal health, women should stay away from products that are high in sugar and calories. The Body Armor Lyte product is the best choice for women who are drinking the product daily.
Where Can I Buy Body Armor?
Body Armor is available for purchase at Amazon and Target. In fact, Amazon even sells a powdered form of the product. Women who buy the product in the powdered form will cut down on expenses as the lack of a bottle makes Body Armor more affordable.
Other Ways to Boost Milk Production
Body Armor may be one effective way to boost milk production. Here are some other methods you may want to try.
- Make sure your breasts are drained after each feeding. If your baby tends to fall asleep at feedings, make sure to switch them from one breast to another to ensure each breast gets adequate feeding time.
- Pump between feedings. This is great for mothers who are too tired or sore to feed their babies often.
- Avoid supplementing with formula.
- Limit pacifier use
- Stay well hydrated.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach. Putting too much weight on your breasts at night will slow milk production.
- Take care of yourself. Eating right and getting enough sleep will get you in the best shape possible for milk production.
- Try power pumping. This involves pumping on and off for an hour a day in bursts often. After a week, you should begin to see results.
So, if you are wondering, does Body Armor for breastfeeding work, the answer to that question is up in the air. It has not been scientifically proven yet many mothers say it worked for them
However, the drink has no artificial ingredients and it is not harmful to pregnant women so, if nothing else is working, it may be worth it to give it a try. What suggestions do you have for increasing milk supply?