We’re supported by moms. When you buy through links on our site, As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a commission.
Want to know the winner? We’ll save you time, we picked the Infant Optics DXR-8 as the best baby monitor for twins in 2020!
So, you’ve had twins, how exciting! In my experience, you’re going to be extra busy keeping up with your munchkins, but there’s no reason to worry. There are a few devices that can make being the parent of twins much easier, and for my money, an excellent baby monitor that has features for two children can really be a significant boon.
In fact, the best baby monitor for twins can help alleviate stress and worry when you’re not in the same room together. They allow you to go about your business around the house and still keep an eye on your darling babies.
In the guide, I’m going to show you five of the best baby monitors on the market for twins, and I’m going to break down the most important features to look for.
Table of Contents
- 1 In A Hurry? Here Are Our Top Picks:
- 2 What Makes a Twin-Friendly Baby Monitor Unique?
- 3 What Are the Primary Advantages of a Baby Monitor for Twins?
- 4 What’s the Main Reason to Purchase One of These Products?
- 5 How Do You Choose the Best Baby Monitor for Twins?
- 6 Other Features That You Should Consider in a Baby Monitor For Twins
- 7 Is It Okay to Purchase a Monitor with Only One Camera?
- 8 Safety Tips for Baby Monitors
- 9 Reviews of the Best Baby Monitors for Twins
- 10 Final Thoughts
In A Hurry? Here Are Our Top Picks:
|Top||Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor with Interchangeable Optical Lens||Prime||Buy Now|
|Video Baby Monitor with Digital Camera||Prime||Buy Now|
|VTech VM321-2 Safe & Sound Video Baby Monitor with Night Vision||Prime||Buy Now|
What Makes a Twin-Friendly Baby Monitor Unique?
A standard baby monitor typically comes with one camera in its system. Since you have twins, you would be much better served by purchasing a product that has two cameras so that you can monitor both of your children simultaneously.
While it might be okay to purchase a product that can pivot so that you can see both of your kids, a product that has dual cameras or the ability to expand to dual cameras can provide you better monitoring coverage. The ability to see both of your children at the same time is a lot easier than having to readjust a single camera constantly.
What Are the Primary Advantages of a Baby Monitor for Twins?
As you might expect, there are some obvious advantages to purchasing a monitor of this type. Still, you might not know all of the most important benefits. Here are a few to consider:
- A monitor system like this can be used when your children are sleeping in separate rooms.
- Monitors of this type are usually expandable so that you can set up cameras in and outside of the nursery.
- These usually have a long range, so you can be in different parts of the house and still keep an eye (or ear) on your little ones.
- Some of the best products have two-way communication, so you can sing, or talk to them without being in the room.
Related Article: 5 Best Bassinets for Twins
What’s the Main Reason to Purchase One of These Products?
So, why not just purchase a single-monitor unit to monitor two twins at once? Well, when you’re working with twins, one child can disturb the sleep patterns of the other. This can be a result of nighttime crying or just standard baby noises throughout the day.
For this reason, many parents will separate their twins during nap time to ensure the best sleep possible. As a result, a single-monitor system is not optimal since both children won’t be viewable at the same time. This makes a monitor with multiple cameras a much better option.
How Do You Choose the Best Baby Monitor for Twins?
As a general rule, there are a few essential features that should be taken into consideration when you’re looking for the best baby monitor for your twins.
Primary among these is night vision functionality. Night vision functionality will allow you to see what’s going on in the baby’s room when there’s a low-light environment. The best of these will be nearly invisible when the light is out and will offer high definition video so that you can see what’s going on if there is a disturbance.
Another primary feature to look out for is a high level of durability. Simply put, since these are in the nursery, there is a high chance that these will be nudged and knocked down from time to time. Ideally, products of this type should be able to take a few hits without losing functionality or breaking too easily.
Other Features That You Should Consider in a Baby Monitor For Twins
Here are a few useful features that you can also take into account before making a purchase:
- Two-way communication
- A high-definition display
- The ability to playback lullabies
- Temperature Sensors
Is It Okay to Purchase a Monitor with Only One Camera?
If you have twins, it’s okay to purchase a product with only one camera if both babies are in the same room. Additionally, some products have wide-angle designs, so you can see two twins in a single room with a single camera.
The first product that I will review in our review section is an excellent example of this kind of design. Additionally, some products, like our second product, are designed with expandability in mind. With a product like this, despite coming with only one camera, a radio-based connection allows you to hook up additional cameras, which will broaden your monitoring coverage. You can quickly swap cameras via the monitoring unit, which is convenient and easy.
Safety Tips for Baby Monitors
When you are purchasing a product like this, it’s a good idea to keep in mind that there are a few safety best practices that you should follow.
- Keep it away from the crib: When using a product like this, never position it on the crib itself. This can dangerous to the baby if the device is accidentally knocked inside.
- Keep cords safe: Wires can be very dangerous, and it’s a good rule of thumb to keep any wires belonging to wired baby monitors far away from where the babies can’t reach them.
- Keep them dry: As electronic devices, it’s essential to make sure that the devices don’t get wet.
- Seek encrypted devices: Some internet ready products utilize encrypted connections so that strangers can’t listen in on or view your transmission signal.
- If you’re using a space heater for a nursery, make sure it’s not too close to the camera as it may cause overheating and lead to damage or a fire hazard.
Reviews of the Best Baby Monitors for Twins
One of the coolest features of our first product is its modular design. The product has replaceable lenses, which allow you to customize the zoom and the angle of the footage. In addition to this, the product also has panning and pivoting ability that you can control from the dedicated control unit.View in galleryIf you’re looking for the best baby monitor for twins that can function with a single camera, then this might be the product for you. I especially appreciate the fact that this is designed to provide 100 percent digital privacy; strangers can’t hack into this feed because it’s not transmitted via the internet.
When it comes to day-to-day functionality, this product is a pretty good range; the control unit will still receive data from the camera if you are 700 feet away. This is also a monitoring unit that allows you to opt to turn off the video feed and still hear the audio in your nursery.
- It has a pretty good range.
- The modular design allows you to change lenses quickly.
- The fact that this can pivot and pan means that it is great for twins.
- This device also includes night vision, talk-back functionality, and the sensor that can monitor the room temperature.
- The micro USB has a tendency to fall out of the display unit.
- When the battery dies, there’s no notification.
#2. Anmeate SM24
The second product in the guide is another single-camera device this still manages to pack in twin-friendly features. So, how do they pull it off? While it does shift with a single camera, you can purchase additional cameras that will extend the functionality of the baby monitor, and the device is specifically designed to make switching between cameras a simple task.View in galleryAnother great feature of this product is a fact that it has the ability to play lullabies for your babies. This feature is very useful in helping your child get back to beddy-bye time. I was also very impressed by how high-quality the sound on this device is; you can hear very clearly what’s going on in the nursery, and it even has a two-way talk functionality so that you can talk to your babies.
- The monitor has a 960-foot range
- The screen displaying is very clear.
- You can expand up to four cameras.
- The product monitors the temperature inside your nursery.
- The screen is a little small.
- The handheld control unit has a short battery life.
#3. Vtech VM321-2
When you set your children up in multiple bedrooms, single-camera devices tend to lose value. This product, which is from VTech, comes with two monitoring units that both transmit audio and visual data to an easy to hold unit. A standout feature of this product is its automatic night vision mode; when the lights go out, the monitor will still record what’s happening using an infrared imager.View in galleryThis is also a monitor that can be wall-mounted; this provides a very convenient usage profile for those who are lacking shelf space. I love to sing to my babies, which is why the two-way talk-back feature may be very valuable for parents that like to send their children to sleep. Finally, out of all the products reviewed in this guide, this VTech product may I have the best range. When using the control unit, you can be as far away as 1,000 feet and still get monitor information.
- The 2.8-inch color screen is very detailed.
- The night vision mode switches on automatically.
- It is relatively easy to adjust the camera angle.
- You can mount this product on a wall.
- You can expand the number of cameras up to four.
- While it does have lullabies, you can’t activate them from the control unit.
#4. AXVUE E632
Out of the products in the guide, this one stands out because of the fact that it has such a large viewscreen. In fact, with a sizing that is five inches, you should easily be able to see what’s going on in your children’s nursery. The device comes with two camera units but also has a fairly large viewing area. The control unit also has its own kickstand, so when it’s time for bed, you can set it on a nightstand and check in on your little ones from time to time.View in galleryThis is also a control unit that uses two-way communication; with it, you can listen in on your twins or talk to them with relative ease. The cameras also allow for zoom, which is a function that you can engage via the control unit.
- You can track the power level of the device on the control unit.
- It’s easy to control the volume.
- The screen is gorgeous and expansive.
- You can use up to four cameras with one unit.
- The battery life could be better.
- The 2.4 gigahertz connection can interfere with your Wi-Fi.
#5. Babysense Video
This product, which is the final product in our guide, comes from Babysense. It has a 900-foot range and comes with two camera units that each have digital zoom as well as panning and tilting ability. Like many of the other products in our guide, this monitor also has two-way communication so that you can sing and talk to your baby. Switching between the two different cameras is very easy; simply press the ‘okay’ button, and you’ll be able to see who the other camera’s viewfinder.View in galleryWhen it’s time for beddy-bye, these cameras also have an auto infrared night vision mode that automatically changes if it the light level in the room. If you’re worried about the temperature in the nursery, this monitoring system has a built-in room temperature monitoring functionality.
- The device has built-in lullabies.
- It includes an alarm/timer setting.
- You can mount it on a wall.
- When nighttime comes, the infrared mode automatically engages.
- The cameras have a very short power cord.
- For some reason, it takes a few seconds for the digital image to appear.
Each of the products that I’ve highlighted in this guide has merit and are among the best baby monitors for twins. Having said that, for me, one product stands out above the rest, the Infant Optics DXR-8.
The winning feature of this product is the range and the ability to change lenses for different situations. Not only does it come pre-packaged with a ton of great features that provide a lot of good functionality, but it was also voted the best baby monitor of 2018 in the Popular Mechanics Magazine. Not to mention the top-notch level of video quality. You can’t go wrong with any of our top 5, but that’s my recommendation and I’m sticking to it!