As kids get older and grow, parents expect that their hair will grow along with it. But, for some kids that just doesn’t happen. For one reason or another, their hair just doesn’t grow that fast.
Research shows that hair grows about 1/2 to 1 inch per month. But, that doesn’t happen for all kids. This leaves parents on the hunt for hair growth products for kids.
While all kids are different, there are several common reasons why your child’s hair may not be growing. Let’s take a look at a few as well as what toddler hair growth products you may want to try to give your child longer locks.
In this article
- Short On Time? Here Are Our Top 5 Choices
- Why Isn’t My Child’s Hair Growing?
- What Should I Look for in Hair Growth Products for Kids?
- 15 Best Hair Growth Products for Kids
- 1. Cantu Care for Kids Nourishing Shampoo
- 2. J’Organic Solutions Hair Growth Scalp Stimulator
- 3. Sofn’Free n’Pretty GroHealthy Thick And Healthy Olive Oil Cream
- 4. SHEA MOISTURE Mango & Carrot Kids Extra-nourishing Shampoo
- 5. Hair Growth Organic Shampoo and Conditioner Set – With Biotin and Argan Oil
- 6. MAJESTIC PURE Kids Shampoo and Conditioner Set Tear Free
- 7. Nourishing Baby Hair Oil with Almond & Avocado for Babies and Kids
- 8. THE MANE CHOICE Sweet Strawberry Fruit Medley KIDS Hydration Spray
- 9. The Mane Choice MANETABOLISM Kids Healthy Hair Growth Vitamins
- 10.Mom & World Baby Hair Oil with Organic & ColdPressed Natural Oil for Kids
- 11.Africas Best Kids Org. Growth Oil Remedy
- 12. SoCozy Detangler Leave-In Conditioner Spray
- 13. Hair Growth Lotion with Olive Oil
- 14. Castor Oil USDA Organic Cold-Pressed
- 15. J’Organic Solutions Hydra-moisture Moringa-Shea hair yogurt for kids and adults
- The Bottom Line on the 15 Best Hair Growth Products for Kids
Short On Time? Here Are Our Top 5 Choices
|Cantu Care For Kids Nourishing Shampoo
|J'Organic Solutions hair growth Scalp stimulator
|Sofn'Free n'Pretty GroHealthy Thick And Healthy Olive Oil Cream 8.8 oz Pack of 4
|SHEA MOISTURE Mango & Carrot Kids Extra-nourishing Shampoo Pack
|Hair Growth Organic Shampoo and Conditioner Set
Why Isn’t My Child’s Hair Growing?
If your child’s hair isn’t growing as you would like, there’s no need to freak out. Several reasons behind the slow growth are easy fixes.
If your child’s hair lacks moisture, it can start to break. When this happens, it’s not going to grow and be healthy. Making sure your child’s hair is properly moisturized is one way to keep it growing.
You’re Using Too Much Heat
While you don’t want your child to go to sleep with wet hair, you also don’t want to dry it to the point that it’s going to break.
If you’re constantly drying their hair until every last strand is dry, there’s a good chance their hair could break. Too much heat can weaken hair. Try using less heat and see what happens with hair growth.
Just as with adults, if your diet is unhealthy, it’s going to impact hair growth. Giving your child a healthy diet can help their hair stay healthy. Water is also another way to keep hair healthy because it helps to moisturize hair.
You May Be Trimming Hair Too Much or Not Enough
You want to find a happy medium when it comes to cutting your child’s hair. While you don’t want to cut it too much because you’re not giving it a chance to grow, you also don’t want to forget about it to the point that it splits.
If it gets to this stage, it can lead to major breakage. If you’ve been cutting your child’s hair a lot, give it a break and see what it happens. If you can’t remember the last time it was cut, give it a trim and see how that affects hair growth.
What Should I Look for in Hair Growth Products for Kids?
Many parents try those quick fixes above as well as hair growth products for kids to get things growing. Here are some things to look for as you shop.
Make Sure It’s Safe for Kids
You want to make sure any product you’re using for your child is safe for them. It should be labeled on the product. If it’s not, you can always ask your pediatrician about whether the ingredients are safe.
Different vitamins and minerals may help stimulate hair growth. These include Vitamins B & E, as well as Folic Acid, and Calcium. Read the list of ingredients to see if any of these are included.
15 Best Hair Growth Products for Kids
If you want some help in the hair-growing department, here’s a look at 15 best hair growth products for kids.
- Cantu Care for Kids Nourishing Shampoo for Kids
- J’Organic Solutions Hair Growth Scalp Stimulator
- Sofn’Free n’Pretty GroHealthy Thick And Healthy Olive Oil Cream
- SHEA MOISTURE Mango & Carrot Kids Extra-nourishing Shampoo
- Hair Growth Organic Shampoo and Conditioner Set – With Biotin and Argan Oil
- MAJESTIC PURE Kids Shampoo and Conditioner Set Tear Free
- Nourishing Baby Hair Oil with Almond & Avocado for Babies and Kids
- THE MANE CHOICE Sweet Strawberry Fruit Medley KIDS Hydration Spray
- The Mane Choice MANETABOLISM Kids Healthy Hair Growth Vitamins
- Mom & World Baby Hair Oil with Organic & ColdPressed Natural Oil for Kids
- Africas Best Kids Org. Growth Oil Remedy
- SoCozy Detangler Leave-In Conditioner Spray
- Hair Growth Lotion with Olive Oil
- Castor Oil USDA Organic Cold-Pressed
- J’Organic Solutions Hydra-moisture Moringa-Shea hair yogurt for kids and adults
When it comes to toddler hair growth products, this shampoo from Cantu gets high marks. It is made especially for kids and contains shea butter to help nourish hair.
Ingredients also include coconut oil and aloe vera. There are no parabens or mineral oil. If your child’s hair is curly or wavy, this shampoo could be the perfect choice. It gently cares for textured hair, working to get the tangles out to help promote growth.
It’s also reasonably priced which parents will appreciate. The tear-free formula is great for kids if they happen to get shampoo in their eyes in the shower.
- Does not contain parabens or mineral oil
- Helps to nourish hair and make it stronger
- Reasonably priced
- Made for curly or wavy hair, may not work as well on straight hair
This scalp stimulator is another popular product when it comes to hair growth products for kids.
This is a pomade that has Vitamin E, almond oil, castor oil, and coconut oil, among other natural and organic ingredients. This growth stimulator is especially formulated for kids so you can feel safe when your kids use it.
It’s fragrance-free and is marketed as the only hair grease on the market with no petroleum. This product is a little pricey. But, you should only use a small amount at a time so it should last you for a while.
- All natural and organic ingredients
- Formulated especially for kids
- A little pricey
This olive oil cream is also made to help your child’s hair grow. It’s made with olive oil and Omega-3 vitamins to reduce hair breakage while promoting growth.
It’s recommended to rub a generous amount between your hands and massage it into your child’s scalp 2-3 times a week. It’s made for relaxed and natural hair. This is also reasonably priced considering that you get four tubs in one order.
- Comes in a 4-pack
- Made with olive oil and omega-3 vitamins
- Not especially made for curly hair, made for relaxed and natural hair
When it comes to hair growth products for kids, this nourishing shampoo can help to detangle hair and nourish it. It helps to strengthen hair and protect against breakage to promote growth.
It’s sulfate and paraben-free which is good for kids. Ingredients include orange blossom extract. This is a favorite when it comes to shampoo that doesn’t dry out kids’ hair. It’s also reasonably priced since it includes two bottles of shampoo.
- Works to detangle hair
- Helps to nourish hair and promote growth
- Reasonably priced
- Some users say the smell is too strong for kids
Although it’s not made especially for kids, this shampoo and conditioner set could be a good choice if you’re looking for hair growth products for kids who are older. If you’re unsure if the ingredients are safe for your child you can ask your pediatrician.
Ingredients include Vitamins A, E, and C as well as Argan oil and Biotin. There is also tea tree oil to stimulate hair follicle growth.
Tea tree oil is a common ingredient in shampoos made for children. There are no chemicals and no mineral oil. It’s also fragrance-free and paraben-free. It is good for all hair types.
- Contains tea tree oil
- Includes important vitamins
- No chemicals
- Includes shampoo and conditioner
- Not made especially for kids
If you’re looking to detangle your child’s hair to help it grow, this shampoo and conditioner from Majestic Pure may be able to help. It’s made to nourish and condition hair by hydrating it and smoothing it. This can help to promote growth.
It’s a gentle formula that’s made for kids so you don’t have to worry about it being too harsh. You can use it everyday on your child’s hair no matter their type of hair. It’s also sulfate-free.
This is a solid product when you’re looking for tangle-free hair. But, compared to other products, it’s a bit on the expensive side.
- Made for kids
- Promotes tangle-free hair
- A bit expensive
If you’re looking for baby hair growth products, this baby hair oil is a good choice. It has coconut oil to promote hair growth while making it smooth. Coconut oil is also a known natural treatment for cradle cap.
This baby oil also contains almond oil which has a good amount of Vitamin D that can provide nutrition to the hair root to promote stronger and smoother hair.
The avocado oil it contains vitamins A, B,D, and E to stimulate blood flow to the hair follicles of your baby or toddler.
Since this product is made especially for babies, you can count on it to be gentle. It’s also hypoallergenic and fragrance free. Although it is fragrance-free, some people who have used it have complained that it still has a strong odor.
- Contains coconut and avocado oil
- Contains important vitamins
- Made for babies
- Some have complained of a strong odor
If you prefer a spray to hydrate your child’s hair, this one from The Mane Choice could be a good choice for your child.
It instantly hydrates the hair and gets to the root while adding moisture. It’s made to strengthen the hair to fight damage and breakage. This can help with hair growth as it hydrates.
Since it’s made for kids, it’s delicate, yet effective for their gentle scalp. The Biotin and aloe vera it contains also helps to promote healthier, longer, and thicker hair. It’s gentle enough so you can use it every day on your child.
This product is a little pricier than some others. Also, if you or your child doesn’t like a strawberry scent, you may want to skip this one.
- Gentle and made for children
- Contains biotin and aloe vera
- Adds moisture and gets to the root to promote hair growth
- A little expensive
- Not everyone will like the strawberry scent
If you’re looking for a vitamin to help your child’s hair grow, these from The Mane Choice could be a good pick.
They are gummies so they’re easy for kids to chew and take. The special formula for kids gives them the essential vitamins they need to keep their hair healthy.
The vitamins aim to target hair follicles as well as nail beds and skin layers to promote healthy hair, skin, and nails.
The Vitamin A that is included produces sebum which helps to make hair thick and shiny, while the Vitamin B6 increases the flow of oxygenated blood to the hair follicle and scalp. They are also said to help strengthen the immune system.
Before giving your child any new vitamins, always check with your pediatrician first.
- Promotes healthy hair, skin, and nails
- Can also help with metabolism
- Contains Vitamins A & B6
- Some kids may not like taking the gummies
If you’re looking for baby hair growth products, this baby hair oil may be one to try. The almond oil and coconut oil help to penetrate the roots of your baby’s hair to nourish it. The Vitamins A, B, and D, work to stimulate blood flow to the hair follicles.
All oils are organic or cold-pressed natural oil so you can be sure all ingredients are good for your baby. Using it is easy as you just massage it into your baby’s scalp.
There is shampoo made by the same company that is recommended to use along with this baby hair oil. It is a little pricey for the size bottle, but if you’re looking for an all-natural aid for hair growth, this could be one to try.
- Made from all natural ingredients
- Contains essential vitamins
- Easy to use
- A little pricey
This lightweight hair growth oil promotes stronger, healthier hair. It can be used as a daily treatment to get softer, shinier hair for your child.
This oil is enriched with keratin and wheat protein to help stimulate healthier hair. There are also natural ingredients like extra virgin olive oil and horsetail.
Your child’s hair will not only feel softer, but the formula is made to energize hair follicles and stimulate hair growth. Since it won’t cause a heavy build-up on your hair or scalp, it can be used as a daily treatment on any type of hair.
- Made to stimulate hair growth
- Can be used daily
- Makes hair softer and shinier
- No real drawbacks unless you don’t want to use an oil on your child’s hair
When you don’t want to use oil but still want a product to use in your child’s hair, there is this leave-in conditioner spray. By helping to detangle hair, your child’s hair shouldn’t get knotted and break off.
The key ingredients here are keratin, soy protein, and kiwi extract. It has all-natural ingredients and is non-toxic. You won’t find things like parabens, sulfates, or any other chemicals.
It not only strengthens hair but also softens it. If you really like this product, the company also makes a shampoo and and 3-in-1 conditioner, shampoo, and body wash.
If you’re going to use this product frequently, you may find that you go through the bottle quickly.
- All natural ingredients
- Good alternative to hair oil
- Works to detangle hair and strengthen it
- May use the bottle quickly depending on frequency
Here’s a hair growth lotion you may want to try. It contains a blend of natural oils and Omega-3. It’s made to promote hair growth for all types of hair including curly hair. It helps to nourish the scalp with oils and proteins to help hair grow.
It’s recommended to use this in your child’s hair 2-3 times a week by simply massaging it into the scalp. You’ll find this product to be reasonably priced. The only drawback would be if you don’t want to put in oil onto your child’s scalp.
- Uses natural oils to promote hair growth
- Reasonably priced
- Nourishes the scalp
- Some kids may not like the oil on their scalp
While not especially made for kids, this castor oil product promises to support healthy hair and nourish the scalp. It contains 100% pure castor oil with no added ingredients, fragrances, or preservatives.
This product is USDA certified organic and 100% vegan and cruelty-free. So, you can feel good about using this on your child. If you’re unsure about using it since it’s not especially formulated for kids, ask your pediatrician before doing so.
- Made from organic materials
- Supports healthy hair
- Not especially made for kids
- On the pricey side
When it comes to the best hair growth products for kids, this one has multi-purposes and can also be used by adults. It has vitamins that can help to moisturize and revitalize dry hair.
This can help to promote growth since the hair is no longer dull. All you have to do is rub it into your palms until it melts and then apply a thin coat to any dry areas.
Although this one is not especially formulated for kids, this is an organic product with no chemicals added. It’s good for all hair types and is also advertised as being safe for babies.
But, you should always check with your pediatrician before using something new on your baby.
- Organic product
- Helps to nourish and strengthen dry hair
- Easy to use
- Not made especially for kids
The Bottom Line on the 15 Best Hair Growth Products for Kids
As you shop for hair growth products for kids always look to check the ingredients to see if the product you’re considering includes things that you’re comfortable using on your child.
We chose the Cantu Care for Kids Nourishing Shampoo for Kids as our favorite pick because it contains coconut oil and aloe vera.
This shampoo works to get the tangles out to promote hair growth which is a plus. It’s also made especially for kids and is a tear-free formula.
Remember, if you’re unsure whether the ingredients are safe for your child, always ask your pediatrician before using a product. Many times, it’s also a case of trial and error to see which products work best for your child.