We’re supported by moms. When you buy through links on our site, As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a commission.
I never had a baby shower for my firstborn, but I did with my second, and it was delightful. When it came time to open the gifts there were plenty of cards with each one, most with a thoughtful sentiment congratulating me, or telling me things that would make me a wonderful mother. Those thoughtful expressions are what made me save all of my baby shower cards in a keepsake box.
Knowing that your card might be saved for years to come will make you want to write something amazing on the inside instead of a thoughtless congrats. It can also be nice not to sound cliche when you pick what to write in a baby shower card. These tips and examples are the perfect way to get your creative juices flowing so that you can write the perfect message.
Table of Contents
- 1 What to Write In A Baby Shower Card: What to Express
- 2 Words of Encouragement
- 3 Remind Her You’re There
- 4 Different Relationships Call For Different Messages
- 4.1 Co-Ed Baby Showers Call For Special Consideration
- 4.2 What To Write In A Baby Shower Card To A Co-Worker
- 4.3 What To Write In A Baby Shower Card To A Friend
- 4.4 What To Write In A Baby Shower Card For A First Time Mom
- 4.5 What To Write In A Baby Shower Card (Funny)
- 4.6 What To Write In A Baby Shower Card For A Sibling
- 4.7 What To Write In A Baby Shower Card For A Second Child
- 4.8 What To Write In A Baby Shower Card (Religious)
What to Write In A Baby Shower Card: What to Express
When you’re writing a personalized note in a baby shower card, it’s a nice idea to add a bit of thought into the handwritten message. There are several things that you can consider to make sure that you leave the mother to be a message that will warm her heart for years to come.
Obviously, a baby shower card should include a congratulations message. You can refer to the baby by different terms to give it a unique spin. Some ideas are:
- Bundle of joy
- Tiny little miracle
- New addition
- Little boy
- Little girl
Another great idea is to congratulate the soon to be mother with a few words of excitement instead of cliche congratulations. You could tell her how excited you are, how you can’t wait to hold her little blessing or how much you love the mere thought of a new addition to the family.
Words of Encouragement
Another great idea to consider when writing a personalized note in a baby shower card is to include a few words of encouragement. New moms often feel scared or nervous about taking care of their first child. A nice note stating that they are going to be a wonderful mother or reminding them of the awesome qualities they have, such as patience or kindness, is something that will provide them with encouragement for years to come.
Moms that have had a rough pregnancy will also benefit from words of encouragement. Reminding a mom that has been on bed rest or one that has had a condition such as pre-eclampsia that there is a light at the end of the tunnel can help them feel stronger, something that all mothers need. Offer her words of encouragement by telling her how amazing she is, reminding her that things will get better or by telling her that you believe in her. Those simple sentences can give her inner strength to help her feel more positive and make it through the hard times.
Remind Her You’re There
New mothers often have a hard time reaching out for help. Sometimes, they feel as though they have to do everything on their own, leading to them being exhausted, lonely and stressed. Motherhood should be a time of joy and knowing that other people are there can help a new mom feel supported and happy. Simply tell her that if she ever needs someone to babysit, if she wants to take a nap or if she needs a shoulder to cry on that you’re there. That alone can mean the world to someone that feels depressed or stressed on the inside as they struggle on the outside.
Different Relationships Call For Different Messages
A lot of people get invited to baby showers, from close friends and family to co-workers that you may have only spoken to once or twice. It’s important to consider the relationship when you think about what to write in a baby shower card. The message should be uplifting and nice or funny, but it should also be appropriate and sincere. For example, if you have never spoken to a co-worker but felt obligated to attend the baby shower it might not seem appropriate to volunteer to give them a should cry on without beginning with an “I know we aren’t that close, but…” so that it does not feel awkward. When considering what to write in a baby shower card, keep these things in mind.
Co-Ed Baby Showers Call For Special Consideration
Although co-ed baby showers are all the rave today, it’s important to remember that some messages can be taken out of context when the receiving person is of the opposite sex. Double-check your message to make sure that the recipient will not misinterpret what is written in the card, and to ensure that your own significant other will not feel some type of way.
What To Write In A Baby Shower Card To A Co-Worker
Writing a personalized message inside of a card to a co-worker can be difficult. You want to write something more than congrats, but you also don’t know what to write to a person that you have only worked with once or twice. You can write a simple congratulations if you like, but it can be nice to add a bit more to a card than that. If you want to, you can also include that you can’t wait to see them again if they are already on maternity leave, how excited you are to meet their child or a few words of encouragement about motherhood. This could be something as simple as stating that motherhood can be trying, but they are going to be amazing at it.
What To Write In A Baby Shower Card To A Friend
When writing a baby shower card to a friend, it’s important to get more personal than a basic I can’t wait to meet the new baby. Friendships are often challenging when a person becomes a mother or is busy with a baby, so take this as an opportunity to remind your friend that you will always be there. Tell them that although the friendship might change, the two of you will remain as close as always. Encourage them to reach out if they need help, and write that even though they might be busier they will still be loved.
What To Write In A Baby Shower Card For A First Time Mom
When writing a message in a baby shower card for a first time mom, it’s important to empathize with her. First-time moms often have grand ideas about how wonderful it will be to dress up their little one, watch them learn to walk, etc. While these are all joyous moments, they tend to not know what they are in store for when it comes to sleepless nights, hours of crying and those famous diaper blowouts. More than anything, a first-time mom will need to know that it’s okay to reach out and that she’s doing a great job. Remind her of this with a few words like these:
- Even though your baby isn’t born yet, you’re already doing an amazing job. That alone tells me that you will be a wonderful mother.
- If you want to get a full night’s sleep, I’ll be happy to babysit
- You’re doing a great job
What To Write In A Baby Shower Card (Funny)
Sometimes, your relationship with someone calls for a funny joke or two instead of a sentimental message. Maybe your relationship is based more on humor than anything. If this is the case, try one or two of these funny things to write in a baby shower card:
- This is your circus, and those are your monkeys
- Welcome to being a mom. It’s where things like doing laundry by yourself is now a vacation.
- Parenthood: the scariest hood there is
- Welcome to motherhood. No one will ever judge you for day drinking again.
These are a few of the funny things that you can put in a baby shower card to add a few smiles to the baby shower. They’ll also give the new mom something to smile about when she re-reads her cards years down the road.
What To Write In A Baby Shower Card For A Sibling
Now is the time to let your sister know that you will always be there. Siblings share a special bond, so you need to remind the soon to be mother that she has all your love and support. Include a heartfelt message like one of these:
- Sis, I love you with all my heart. I’ve watched you grow up and always knew that you would be the perfect mom. I can’t wait to be there to welcome this new, adorable addition to our ever-growing family.
- Sister, I can’t believe that we’re all grown up now and having children. It seems like just years ago we were little kids playing together. Even though the years have gone by, how much I love you has never changed. I am so excited to welcome your little miracle into the world with you. I also wanted to let you know that I will be with you every step of the way if you need me.
Depending on your relationship, you can also add a little bit of humor in here. For example, when my sister was expecting her first child she was a bit nervous. She likes to work on cars, so my brother told her that having a child was just like driving a hoopty. You carry a toolbox in the trunk and fix it as needed. Instead of a toolbox, you have a diaper bag.
What To Write In A Baby Shower Card For A Second Child
When a mom already has one child, they often feel differently than they did with their first child. Mothers pregnant with their second child do not feel the same fear or nervousness about their baby or about going into labor. Instead, they are more likely to face their time as a mother with their second child with a higher degree of confidence. This is wonderful, but it can make it more challenging to write a message in their baby shower card because they do not need reassurance. What these mothers can best benefit from are well wishes like these:
- I’m so proud of the mother that you already are, and can’t wait to see you be a wonderful mother to your second baby. I wish you all the best as you bring another beautiful miracle into the world.
- May the rest of your pregnancy go smoothly, may your baby be born healthy, and may you have a happy family for the rest of your life.
- I hope that your life as a mother continues to be everything that you have dreamed it would be. I hope that both you and your baby are healthy, and can’t wait to welcome him into the family with open arms.
What To Write In A Baby Shower Card (Religious)
Those that are religious themselves will already know that they can express what miracles children are, how blessed the family is and can include that God has given the family the best gift of all in their card. For the rest of us that are not religious, it can be a struggle deciding what to write in a baby shower card. These are some great ideas to give you inspiration.
- Quote a scripture from their book of religion. For example, Psalm 127:3-5 states “Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.”
- You can omit the last sentence for mothers that will likely never see a courtroom.
- It leaves my heart bursting with joy that the Lord has blessed you with another child. I am thrilled to share the journey of motherhood with you and feel truly blessed to get to meet your miracle. May you continue to enjoy the wonderful blessings of the Lord for many years to come.
- Congratulations on your newest blessing! Every child is a miracle, and I am so happy for you that our wonderful God has blessed you with another one. May all of your wishes come true as God continues to bless your family. I do wish you the very best, and please do not hesitate to call me if you ever should find yourself in need.
Every baby shower has a different situation for each guest. Maybe you’re the big brother, the best friend’s husband that is getting drug along with his girlfriend to her friend’s baby shower or maybe it’s your best friend. Whatever your relationship, it’s important to make sure that your baby shower card expresses it perfectly. These ideas will help you come up with your own message to write in your card, or you can use them as your personal message if you’re having a brain freeze.