We’re supported by moms. When you buy through links on our site, As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a commission.
We know that as a parent your life is extremely busy. So if you’re in a hurry and to save you time, we’ll just let you know that we chose Enfamil as the best baby formula brand. Both brands have good qualities but we felt that Enfamil contained MFGM and Lactoferrin which support cognitive development and fewer respiratory and digestive issues.
Choosing the right formula for your baby can be a really difficult decision. And what works for one baby may not work for another, meaning that suggestions from friends and relatives are not always helpful.
The formula you choose is going to provide your child with the nutrition that they need to grow and develop. For the first few months of their lives, this is going to be their only source of food and water.
Enfamil vs Gerber is a common comparison when choosing which brand of formula to give your baby.
As we have previously said there is no one brand that fits all babies. You could spend hours doing your research and think that you have found the perfect formula only for it to not agree with your baby.
But there is no need to panic there are plenty of options available within each brand if you have your heart set on one particular brand. If you are not set on one brand then there are other brands that may be more suitable for your baby.
Table of Contents
- 1 The Types Of Baby Formula
- 2 Differences In Baby Formulas
- 3 Enfamil vs Gerber A Look At Their Formulas
- 3.1 Enfamil Enspire Vs Gerber Good Start GentlePro
- 3.2 Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease Vs Gerber Good Start SoothePro
- 3.3 Enfamil Nutramigen Vs Gerber Good Start Extensive HA
- 3.4 Enfamil Prosobee Vs Gerber Good Start Soy Powder
- 3.5 Enfamil Enfagrow Premium Vs Gerber Good Start A2 Toddler Drink
- 4 FAQs About Enfamil Vs Gerber
- 5 Enfamil vs Gerber Which Comes Out On Top?
- 6 The Final Thought
The Types Of Baby Formula
Within each brand, there are many different choices to cater to babies with different needs. These include breast milk-based formula, lactose-free formula, gentle formula, and soy formula.
Breast Milk-Based Formula
Formulas that are based on breastmilk. These offer the closest replica of breastmilk that is possible. Many now include similar fats that were once exclusively found in breastmilk.
Fats such as MFGM which is shown to support cognitive development in infants. Or probiotics such as 2′-FL HMO which helps support your baby’s immune system.
|Enfamil Enspire Infant Formula with Lactofrerrin, DHA, and MFGM||Prime||Buy Now|
|Gerber Good Start GentlePro (HMO) Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula, Stage 1||Prime||Buy Now|
If your baby is not feeding comfortably on breast milk formula, you may need to look for something that is gentler on their tummy. This would mean that they have a lower percentage of lactose which can often be the cause of fussiness in babies.
|Enfamil Gentlease Infant Formula||Prime||Buy Now|
|Gerber Good Start Soothe (HMO) Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula||Prime||Buy Now|
Some babies simply can not tolerate the lactose in baby formula and need a lactose-free formula. If you find that your baby is in this category, there are many brands that offer a lactose-free version of their formula.
Both Enfamil and Gerber offer a lactose-free version.
- Enfamil Nutramigen
- Gerber Good Start Extensive HA
Some babies require a soy formula, this may be due to lactose intolerance, milk protein allergy, or galactosemia.
There are many available on the market these days as the popularity of soy formula has increased. Again both Enfamil and Gerber offer their own soy-based formula.
- Enfamil Prosobee
- Gerber Good Start Soy Powder
Even though most toddlers can transition to cow’s milk, many parents choose for their toddlers to remain on formula after they are 12 months old.
- Enfamil Enfagrow Premium
- Gerber Good Start A2 Toddler Drink
Differences In Baby Formulas
Although all baby formulas have certain standards that they have to reach to ensure their quality and safety. This does not mean that they are all the same.
There are some differences between formulas from one brand to another that you may notice. Many contain coconut oil as an alternative source of fat to palm olein oil.
Two formulas that appear to be identical may use prebiotics while the other uses probiotics.
A few other differences that you may consider are:
- DHA and ARA
- Organic Ingredients
Calories, Fat, Carbs, And Protein
To help you make a decision between Enfamil vs Gerber you may like to consider the differences in the major nutrients that are contained in their formulas.
The four main ones that you are looking at in baby formula are calories, fat, carbs, and protein. Let’s take a look at two choices available from Enfamil and Geber- Enfamil Enspire and Gerber Good Start GentlePro.
- 20 calories per ounce
- 5.3g of fat per 100 calories
- 11.2g of carbs per 100 calories
- 2.1g of protein per 100 calories
- 20 calories per ounce
- 5.1g of fat per 100 calories
- 11.6g of carbs per 100 calories
- 2.2g of protein per 100 calories
Vitamins And Minerals
The next thing you will want to compare is the vitamin and mineral content in the baby formula and how it differs. There are some similarities and there are some differences.
Both products contain the same amount of Vitamin A (300g per 100 calories), which is necessary for proper development and growth.
Differences that you should note are:
- Enfamil contains more calcium.
- Higher levels of Zinc and Iron
Gerber Good Start GentlePro
- Gerber Good Start contains higher levels of Linoleic Acid.
- Higher levels of copper.
Enfamil vs Gerber A Look At Their Formulas
Let’s have a closer look at the similar products on offer from both Enfamil and Geber. We will compare them to see what the similarities and differences are.
Enfamil Enspire Vs Gerber Good Start GentlePro
These are the standard formula offered by both Enfamil and Gerber. If your baby has no allergies or health issues this will be the formula you will start with.
They have all the vitamins and nutrients to encourage healthy growth and development in your baby.
- Both are non-GMO based formulas.
- Enfamil and Gerber contain colic-fighting probiotics.
- Both include comfort proteins like DHA that improve eye and brain health.
- There is a large price difference, with Gerber being far more affordable.
- Enfamil uses a fat protein blend of MFGM and DHA, brain-building nutrition inspired by breast milk.
- 2′-FL HMO is used in Gerber Good Start.
Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease Vs Gerber Good Start SoothePro
Both of these products are designed for babies who are suffering gas, fussiness, and crying. They are designed to be gentle on their little stomachs and help alleviate issues.
- Both include the same levels of Vitamin A, D, and E.
- Enfamil and Gerber both contain brain-building Omega 3 DHA.
- 2′-FL HMO is used in Gerber Good Start
- Enfamil has MFGM components which are also found in breast milk.
- Gerber includes comfort proteins that are easy for tiny tummies to digest.
Enfamil Nutramigen Vs Gerber Good Start Extensive HA
Both Enfamil Nutramigen and Gerber Good Start Extensive Ha are designed for babies that are showing colicky symptoms due to cow’s milk protein allergy.
Your baby may have a very mild allergic reaction to cow’s milk protein, and others may have an extreme reaction and be totally incapable of disgusting cow’s milk protein.
Both ensure that milk allergy reactions are minimalized whilst also providing all the necessary vitamins and minerals required.
- Both products work to reduce the incidence of future allergies.
- Enfamil and Gerber are both suitable as lactose-free options.
- Enfamil is clinically shown to reduce colic due to cow’s milk allergy within 48 hours.
- Gerber includes a fat blend with MCT oil to help facilitate fat absorption.
Enfamil Prosobee Vs Gerber Good Start Soy Powder
If you are searching for a milk-free formula that is soy-based then both Enfamil Prosbee and Gerber Good Start Soy Powder should do the trick. They would both be great choices and are gentle on little tummies that struggle to digest lactose.
- Both provide complete nutrition to help your baby grow.
- Enfamil and Gerber have milk and lactose-free nutrition.
- Both include DHA which helps support eye and brain development.
- Enfamil is great for families following special dietary guidelines such as vegetarian or Kosher diets
Enfamil Enfagrow Premium Vs Gerber Good Start A2 Toddler Drink
Once your baby reaches a year old they can then be transitioned on to cow’s milk as long as there are no underlying health issues or allergies.
Both Enfamil Enfagrow Premium and Gerber Good Start A2 Toddler Drink provide a great nutritional base to continue to help support your growing toddler.
- Both of these products include non-GMO ingredients.
- Enfamil and Gerber are designed to support digestive health.
- Enfamil includes DHA and iron which help to nourish a toddler’s brain development.
- Gerber includes uniquely sourced A2 milk which comes from cows that are carefully selected and naturally produce only A2 milk.
- Enfamil features dual prebiotics and vitamins to help support immune health.
FAQs About Enfamil Vs Gerber
Why Use Baby Formula?
Baby formula is a great alternative for parents that can’t breastfeed or decide not to. They include all the nutrients that are necessary for a baby to grow healthily.
When Can I Give My Baby Cow’s Milk?
Official guidelines recommend that parents wait until babies are between 9-12 months before introducing cow’s milk. Before this age, it is not an appropriate substitute for formula or breastmilk.
How Will I Know If My Formula Fed Baby Is Hungry?
After a few weeks, you will get to know the signs that your baby is ready to feed.
Your baby will start to get restless, they may begin turning their head and open their mouth, this is called rooting. You may find that they’ll find something to suck on, this is usually a fist or fingers.
What Is The Closest Formula To Breastmilk?
The first and only formula in the US to contain the ingredients MFGM and Lactoferrin is Enfamil Enspire, making it the closest formula to breastmilk.
MFGM has been shown to support brain development and the immune system is supported and aided by Lactoferrin.
Why Should You Discard Formula After An Hour?
The combination of leftover formula and your baby’s saliva can cause bacteria to grow. This is why you should discard any formula leftover in your baby’s bottle.
How Much Formula Does My Baby Need?
There is a simple guideline to follow for babies that are 4-6 months old and haven’t started eating solids. Offer 2.5 ounces of formula per pound of body weight each day, with a maximum of 32 ounces.
For example, if your baby weighs 6 pounds, you’ll give them 15 ounces of formula in a 24-hour period. Not all babies are the same and some will take more or less than the guideline above.
Enfamil vs Gerber Which Comes Out On Top?
Both Enfamil and Gerber are great brands that offer some good alternatives to the standard baby formula.
Both brands offer some great formulas with their own individual combinations of prebiotics and other unique ingredients. Both will support your baby ensuring that they thrive and grow.
Both brands also meet the nutritional requirements set up by the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and FDA regulations.
Personally, I would choose Enfamil due to the fact that their formulas have added MFGM and Lactoferrin components which support cognitive development and fewer digestive and respiratory issues.
Enfamil Enspire also is the closest formula to breast milk and contains proteins only previously found in colostrum.
Enfamil also offers a larger variety of formulas that cater to babies with different needs such as premature babies and those babies with a range of dietary needs.
The only drawback with Enfamil is that it is considerably more expensive than Gerber and for many families, this may be a deciding factor.
If you have any concerns or doubts with regard to which formula to choose, you can get advice from your pediatrician. They will be able to offer you better advice as to which formula they think is the best fit for your baby and their individual needs.
The Final Thought
Both Enfamil and Gerber offer a baby formula that is made with high-quality ingredients to ensure the growth and development of your baby.
Either brand will provide your little one with all the nutrients and vitamins that they require and neither is a bad choice. Ultimately, the brand you choose will be the one that suits your baby and their dietary needs the best.