We’re supported by moms. When you buy through links on our site, As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a commission.
We live in a time when much of the clothing we purchase is considered disposable and easily replaceable. But if you are of the mindset that we should be more mindful of what we are throwing away then this article is for you.
One of the main reasons that people throw clothing away or replace it is that it loses its color and looks starts to look old and past its best.
But if there was a way to prevent this fading or at least lessen its effects our clothing would last that much longer.
We have looked at the best laundry detergents that are available to prevent colors from fading and weighed up the pros and cons of each.
Table of Contents
- 1 Short On Time? Here Are Our Top 3 Choices
- 2 12 Best Laundry Detergents
- 3 1. Woolite Darks Laundry Detergent
- 4 2. Puracy Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent
- 5 3. Perwoll For Black & Darks
- 6 4. The Laundress Darks Detergent
- 7 5. Seventh Generation Concentrated Laundry Detergent
- 8 6. Cheer HE Liquid Detergent
- 9 7. Ultra Tide Professional With OXY Power
- 10 8. Zote White Laundry Bar Soap
- 11 9. Tide Bright + White Rescue
- 12 10. Tide Studio Liquid Laundry Detergent
- 13 11. OxiClean Dark Protect Liquid Laundry Additive
- 14 12. Miele Ultra Color Powder
- 15 FAQs
- 16 The Final Thought
Short On Time? Here Are Our Top 3 Choices
|Top||Woolite Darks with EverCare Liquid Laundry Detergent, 66 Loads, 100 Fl Oz (Pack of 1), Packaging May Vary||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Puracy Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Perwoll for Black & Darks (Formally Black Magic) 1.5L||Prime||Buy Now|
12 Best Laundry Detergents
Woolite is a brand that has been around on the international market for years. It is known to protect dark colors from fading and maintaining the finish of fabrics.
This laundry detergent comes with the Woolite patented Color Renew technology which is designed to prevent dark clothes from fading while removing the pilling from clothes.
This bottle contains around 30 loads of laundry without fading any colors.
- Good for dark clothes
- Cleans approximately 30 loads per bottle
- Signature color renew technology
- Quite pricey
This detergent not only prevents colors from fading but also contains no harsh chemicals, has never been tested on animals, and is safe to use on baby clothes and for those with allergies.
Puracy is a mineral-based detergent that uses plant-based ingredients and comes in a highly concentrated state meaning that you need to use approximately only 1/4 of an ounce per load. A single 24 oz bottle will do 96 loads.
- A great option for anyone suffering from allergies
- Safe for baby clothing
- Contains no harsh chemicals
- Made in the USA
- Never tested on animals
- Does not eliminate odors from tough loads
- Dried out the fibers of clothing
- Leaves an odor behind.
The idea behind this laundry detergent is that it not only protects your colored clothing but it can also help to renew the color of older clothing. This is done by smoothing out fabrics and creating a protective layer that prevents the clothes from fading.
This detergent contains no color additives and does not leave behind any residue. One bottle does 24 loads which does make it quite expensive
- Comes with a fragrance
- Fragrance can be quite overpowering.
- Quite expensive compared to other brands
- Labeling and instructions are in German
This formula helps to not only revive old faded clothes but it is also environmentally safe and only contains all-natural ingredients.
It is also allergen-free, made in the USA, and comes highly concentrated meaning less packaging. It is also supposed to remove lint, dust, and pet hair from your clothes. This bottle size contains up to 64 washes.
- Preserves colors in dark and brightly colored fabrics
- Eco-friendly and made with plant-based biodegradable ingredients.
- Highly concentrated formula
- Quite expensive
- Scent is overpowering
This is an Amazon’s Choice product and contains a powerful triple-enzyme formula to fight tough stains. This particular one states that it has no fragrances, dyes, or artificial brightness.
It is USDA certified 96% Biobased. It is hypoallergenic and dermatological tested to be gentle on the skin.
Seventh Generation also does not test on animals and their products do not contain any animal-based ingredients. A 40 oz bottle will give you 53 loads of washing.
- Can be used on baby clothes
- Hypoallergenic made for sensitive skin
- Can be used in any machine type
- USDA Certified Biobased Product.
- Very expensive for the amount
- States it is concentrated but does not appear to be good value for money.
This is a great option if you are a household that produces a great deal of laundry. Although this is an economical brand do not be deceived into thinking that because the cost is lower the quality is compromised.
It is an excellent option for colored clothing and prevents fading. It also has a pleasant fragrance and contains unique stain fighting agents that help to remove the toughest stains without damaging the clothes.
- Budget-friendly option
- Wash 40 loads from one bottle
- Works well even on the toughest stains
- Still prevents fading
- The smell is not pleasant, smells like cheap perfume.
Ultra-Tide is one of the biggest names in the detergent world and has been around for many years while still offering amazing results.
The formula is 1/3 concentrated making it more powerful and helps it to clean out dirt and stains easily in both colored and white clothes.
The latest concentrated formula also offers color protection and restores clothes without damaging the texture of the clothes.
- 1/3 concentration
- Effective cleaning results
- 140 loads
- Built-in pre-treater
- None that I have found
This laundry soap bar will take care of both your colored and white laundry. It is considered one of the most effective bars for hand-washing garments. This soap is made from eco-friendly ingredients that are safe for babies as well as those that have allergies.
- Affordable price
- Restores whites
- Prevents colors from fading
- Quite drying on hand when used for hand washing clothes
- Unpleasant scent.
One of the biggest names in the world of laundry detergents and has been around for many years. This is another product from this brand that offers excellent washing and color restoring properties.
The formula has active enzymes that fight against color fading and helps you enjoy your clothes for longer.
- Restores colors
- Eliminates tough stains
- Compatible with any detergent
- 27 loads of washing
- Not great results for whites or colored clothing
- Has a strange overpowering smell.
This detergent is designed especially for denim, cotton, and fleece. It protects from discoloration, pilling, and fading and even trims down fibers to help improve the quality of clothing.
The studio will keep your clothes looking new for longer and even lifts body soils to freshen clothes.
- Great fragrance
- Makes dark clothing softer and the color deeper.
- Works well in a cold cycle
- Reports of some skin irritation
- The fragrance is quite strong
This is a great addition to the OxiClean family. It removes tough stains, helps to prevent fading and pilling.
OxiClean can be used in cold water and there is no need to soak clothes to remove stains as it can just be added to your normal wash. It helps to extend the life of your dark clothes.
- Prevents fading of dark clothing
- Clothes come out clean and fresh
- Really strong fragrance
- Draws some color out of certain fabrics.
This is Amazon’s Choice product and offers excellent wash performance with its new formulation. It has a reduced pH level for increased color protection and comes with its own unique advanced brighteners.
- Reduced pH levels for increased color protection
- Concentrated formula
- Contains advanced brighteners
- A bit on the expensive side
- Does cause some color fade
How do I keep my colored clothes from fading?
Besides using a good color care detergent there are other ways to help reduce the effect of fading such as turning clothes inside-out which helps to reduce friction that leads to fading.
Wash heavy fabrics part from the more delicate ones, and zip all zippers to reduce friction. Another way is to wash clothes in cold water as this keeps the fibers closed and traps the dye inside while warm water opens the fibers and sets dye free.
Why are my clothes fading in the wash?
When clothing is churned around inside a crowded washing machine, the friction causes garments to lose their hue.
Does vinegar prevent clothes from fading?
Adding vinegar to a standard wash cycle will prevent color fading.
Can you restore faded black clothing?
It may be possible to restore the color in faded black clothing, but it will depend on how much fading there is in the fabric and the type of clothing.
The simplest way is to dye them black but if you don’t want to dye them you could try washing them in white vinegar, as this can restore the black color because it removes soap residue from the black clothing.
Are detergents with bleach safe for usage on colored clothes?
Laundry detergents that contain oxygen-based bleach can be used safely on colored clothes as they will not affect the color or finish of the fabric.
The Final Thought
These are some of the best laundry detergents for preventing colored clothing from fading. We like the Woolite Darks Detergent best, but they all perform well.
Hopefully, these detergents will lengthen the life of your clothing and keep it looking newer for longer. This will in turn help the environment and maybe prevent the continuous need to replace clothing.