We’re supported by moms. When you buy through links on our site, As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a commission.
Nursing pillows are one of those things you think are a bit gimmicky, that is until you are suffering from backache and sore nipples from breastfeeding position issues. They have become increasingly popular over the last few years and Moms are sure to tell you which is their favorite. With so many varying designs and features, we are going to take a closer look at two of the long-standing ones available – My Brest Friend vs Boppy.
Table of Contents
- 1 The Main Differences Between My Brest Friend vs Boppy Pillows
- 2 What is a My Brest Friend Pillow?
- 3 What is a Boppy Pillow?
- 3.1 Features
- 3.2 Boppy Pros
- 3.3 Boppy Cons
- 3.4 FAQ My Brest Friend vs Boppy
- 4 My Brest Friend vs Boppy – Which is right for you?
The Main Differences Between My Brest Friend vs Boppy Pillows
My Brest Friend offers back support
- You may not think that this is an important feature but it really shouldn’t be overlooked after you have a baby. No matter how fit and healthy you are your body has been through a tremendous strain and it needs time to recover. Coupled with that you now have the added strain on your back of carrying your newborn around and don’t be fooled that because they are small it won’t put a strain on your back!
The Boppy is easier to put on
- As the pillow only wraps around the front of you it is easier to put in place, especially when trying to do it one-handed while holding a newborn. This makes it a great choice!
My Brest Friend is made from 100% cotton
- As parents and especially Moms, we worry about what comes in contact with our baby’s skin. We want natural fabrics that are gentle on their delicate skin and let our baby’s skin breathe. My Brest Friend pillow is made from 100% cotton so ticks all these boxes, putting Moms minds at rest.
The Boppy fits a variety of different sized women
- As we know, us Moms come in all different shapes and sizes, especially when we have just had a baby. The boppy caters to all shapes and sizes, don’t get me wrong it may not fit every single mom perfectly but it is a great alternative for those of us with a few extra pounds and curves!
My Brest Friend has a strap to hold it in place
- It can take you a great deal of time to find the perfect feeding position where your pillow is in just the right position and then it moves and you are back to square one! Trust me there is nothing more annoying -My Brest Friend has an ingenious latching strap, that ensures your pillow stays in place and supports you.
The Boppy pillow is multi-use
- You may think that this pillow has only one use but after giving birth you will have some aches and pains that you did not know about before. The Boppy main purpose is as a feeding pillow but it can also help with other problems such as sitting down. You may laugh but you may possibly be very sore and sitting down will put a lot of pressure on areas where you do not want it, this is where the Boppy pillow will help by easing that pressure. Another plus is that as your baby grows they will be able to use the pillow as a lounger!
What is a My Brest Friend Pillow?
My Brest Friend came about as the solution to a problem that most breastfeeding mothers deal with each and every time they feed- finding that perfect position and being able to hold it. This is where this feeding pillow comes into its own with some unique and insightful features.
My Brest Friend has some fantastic features that really have been thought about. It is made from 100% cotton, which is soft and gentle on your baby’s skin along with a little pocket for conveniently storing nursing and other accessories while you are feeding your baby.
One of the only breastfeeding pillows to come with a back rest to help moms maintain good posture while feeding. This can also help prevent sore backs and necks which are common when trying to hold the same position for prolonged periods of time. It also has arm and elbow rests to eliminate the stress on shoulders.
My Brest Friend has an adjustable strap with a silent release system so that you do not disturb your sleeping baby. This strap holds the pillow in place once you have found that perfect feeding position. This coupled with the wrap around design ensures that it remains secure to your body, again helping to maintain that perfect feeding position.
This pillow also has a unique firm, flat cushion this is designed to prevent a gap between you and your feeding baby. It also ensures that your baby does not roll in or away from you during breastfeeding.
My Brest Friend Pros
- Offers good support, especially for your back
- The flat cushion design helps with positioning
- Has easy to remove covers for washing
- Various cover designs
My Brest Friend Cons
- Will not fit every woman due to the wrap around design and back rest.
- Almost impossible to put on one handed
What is a Boppy Pillow?
Boppy has been around for almost three decades and is an award winning product. It has some great features and is multi purpose, not only will it position your baby for the most ergonomic and comfortable feeding position but as your baby grows it can be used to support them. It can be used for tummy time, playing, sitting or even lounging.
The features that you get with this product are great for providing comfort to both baby and mom. Boppy provides relief for both your arms and back as it lifts your baby to a more natural position for breastfeeding.
It comes complete with a cotton slipcover that is machine washable because babies are babies! You can also purchase additional slipcovers separately.
It has multiply uses making in a versatile piece of baby kit for your home and has been designed to support your baby while they are supervised and awake from 0-12 months.
- Great for every size of woman
- Comes with cover that is removable and machine washable
- Has multiply uses as your baby grows
- Can be put on one handed
- Various cover designs
- Slightly more expensive than My Brest Friend
- Its soft structure means that your baby will sink into it losing that perfect feeding position
FAQ My Brest Friend vs Boppy
How do I clean my Boppy Pillow?
The Boppy Pillow is machine washable and dryable. Wash your Boppy Pillow in cold water on the delicate cycle by itself. Dry your Boppy Pillow on a low heat. Boppy also recommend that you throw a sneaker or tennis ball (wrapped in a pillow case) in the dryer to help the Boppy Pillow keep its shape.
Does the Boppy Pillow contain flame retardants?
The fabric and filling in the Boppy Feeding and Infant Support pillow are exempt from California Bureau of Home Furnishings flammability standards and have never contained harmful flame retardant chemicals.
Why are there two bumps on one side of My Brest Friend pillow surface?
These are called feeding risers and they raise the baby’s head just a bit, aiding ingestion and digestion. This feature was incorporated into the design on the recommendations of lactation consultants.
My Brest Friend doesn’t seem to fit just after I’ve given birth- why?
Within the first week of giving birth, a woman’s uterus continues to be enlarged. As your uterus begins to shrink over the course of the first week postpartum, the pillow should begin to fit more comfortably.
What size will My Brest Friend fit?
My Brest Friend will fit up to a 44 inch waist.
My Brest Friend vs Boppy – Which is right for you?
This is a tricky question to answer as each mom is different and has different needs.
If you are looking for an easy to use feeding pillow, that can be used one-handed while soothing a fussy baby or if you are a woman with a few extra pounds and some curves (like me) then the Boppy would be a better choice for you. However, if you are looking for a feeding pillow with extra stability and back support then the My Brest Friend is the one for you.
Personally, I would recommend the Boppy. This is the pillow that I used while with my youngest son and it was something that no breastfeeding mom should be without. It does cost a little more than most feeding pillows but it does offer the multiply uses which I feel outweighs that initial added cost.