We’re supported by moms. When you buy through links on our site, As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a commission.
Babies grow at a tremendous rate. One minute they’re only a newborn and totally reliant on you, and the next, they’re rolling over and starting to sit unaided.
They truly are amazing and once they start showing the signs of being able to sit unaided, you may be thinking about getting them a little chair that they can sit in and watch you while you get things done around the house.
They offer your baby a new perspective on life. But there are so many of these chairs on the market so which ones are best? We are going to look at two of the bigger brands of chairs: The Boppy Chair vs The Bumbo Seat.
We’ll be looking at the differences and similarities between them along with the pros and cons of each seat. This will hopefully give you the information that you need to make an informed choice of which is best for your baby and you.
Table of Contents
- 1 Main Differences Between Boppy Chair vs Bumbo Seat
- 2 Similarities Between Boppy Chair vs Bumbo Seat
- 3 Boppy Chair
- 4 Bumbo Multi Seat
- 5 FAQ
- 5.1 When should I get a seat?
- 5.2 Does the Boppy seat have a cover that’s machine washable?
- 5.3 How is the Bumbo Multi different to a regular Bumbo seat?
- 5.4 What is the minimum and maximum weight limit of the Bumbo Multi Seat?
- 5.5 Where is the Bumbo manufactured?
- 5.6 What is the dimension of the tray on the Bumbo?
- 5.7 Is the tray on the Bumbo dishwasher safe?
- 6 Our Winner Is…
- 7 The Final Thought
Main Differences Between Boppy Chair vs Bumbo Seat
Both of these products have been designed to provide both support and comfort for a growing baby. Let’s look at the differences between them.
- The Boppy Chair can be folded for complete portability, but the Bumbo can not. You can remove the insert and the tray from the Bumbo, but the base of the seat is solid.
- The Boppy Chair was designed as a floor seat and a table seat depending on the age and stage of development of your baby. While the Bumbo seat was designed to tick all those boxes and more when it comes to usability.
- The Boppy Chair has a handle for carrying the seat making it even easier to move around. While the Bumbo seat offers a more solid design which helps with child development and comes with two different height settings.
Similarities Between Boppy Chair vs Bumbo Seat
While the seats have a few differences, they also share quite a few similarities. Here are a few of the similarities between them.
- Both the designs will help you to start your little one in a seat with a tray.
- Both of the seats have been designed to help increase the spinal strength of your child while still providing room for legs.
The Boppy brand is best known for its breastfeeding pillow which has been a staple of the brand for many years. The Boppy Chair is a three-point harness training seat for babies.
The seat comes complete with chair attachment straps that convert this floor chair to a table seat or booster high chair easily. It’s made with a soft wipe clean material but the cover cannot be removed for it to be machine washed.
It comes in a range of unique designs. The chair is great if you’re looking for something portable as it folds down and comes with a handle for easy transportation.
It also includes a detachable tray that can be used for baby’s meals or even as a toy tray to keep your little one busy while you get things done. The tray is also dishwasher safe so can be kept clean and hygienic.
The chair is suitable for ages 3 to 12 months and also has a non-slip coating on the bottom of the chair.
- It comes in a variety of beautiful designs
- Boppy provides maximum comfort
- It is portable and also foldable
- It comes with a removable tray that is dishwasher safe
- Super easy to clean
- It has a non-slip bottom to prevent it from moving
- The insert is great for babies of various sizes
- The straps aren’t well-positioned
- The fabric is not removable so it is not machine washable, definitely a huge problem with any big messes
- As the seat is not very heavy it is not weighted down when on the floor
Bumbo is a baby brand that is very well known and has been designing and making the iconic Bumbo seat for almost 20 years. The Bumbo multi-seat is the next generation of Bumbo.
The Bumbo multi-seat can be used on the floor, strapped to an adult chair so that it can be used in place of a high chair, or can even be used as a booster seat by removing the internal padding.
It’s complete with a detachable tray that’s easily stowed away in the slot behind the backrest. The Bumbo is also height adjustable and comes with two height settings so is great for growing with your baby.
It comes complete with attachment straps to attach to an adult seat. These straps can then be stowed away in the slots on either side of the Bumbo Multi Seat.
The base has non-slip pads and a smooth round surface this prevents the seat from slipping but also prevents any damage to any furniture it comes in contact with.
The Bumbo Multi Seat is super easy to clean as all the surfaces can be easily wiped off using a damp cloth and some mild detergent. It is suitable for babies between 6 and 36 months who can sit unaided. Children should never be left unsupervised.
- Easy to clean
- The height is adjustable and gives baby more space as they grow
- It has a modern look with multiple features and multi-use.
- It is lightweight enough to take with you out and about.
- It is firm enough to stay in place and not topple over.
- The chair comes with a detachable tray so it can be used as a high chair booster seat.
- The buckles are not very hard-wearing
- The detachable tray can be tricky to detach.
- Your baby may grow out of it quite quickly depending on how big they are.
When should I get a seat?
Every child is different and develops at their own rate. Therefore, there’s no specific age when it’s perfect to purchase one of these seats.
Once you notice your child is making attempts to sit up unaided, that would be the perfect time to purchase a training seat.
Does the Boppy seat have a cover that’s machine washable?
Unfortunately, the seat cover cannot be removed and is therefore not machine washable.
How is the Bumbo Multi different to a regular Bumbo seat?
The multi-seat has a removable insert.
What is the minimum and maximum weight limit of the Bumbo Multi Seat?
There’s no minimum weight limit but the child should be able to sit unaided and the maximum weight is 33 pounds.
Where is the Bumbo manufactured?
The Bumbo is manufactured in China.
What is the dimension of the tray on the Bumbo?
The tray on the Bumbo Multi Seat is 11.2 inches x 7.5 x 1.5.
Is the tray on the Bumbo dishwasher safe?
Unfortunately, the tray on the Bumbo is not dishwasher safe.
Our Winner Is…
It’s very difficult to pick a winner out of these two as they are very different seats, although they have many things in common too.
The Bumbo brand is well known and has been producing outstanding seats for babies for nearly 20 years -they know what they are doing.
Their seats are designed to not only suit babies at one age and stage but to grow with them through the different stages. This makes them really good value for money, but they do have some drawbacks.
They aren’t foldable and so do take up a little bit of space in your home. Don’t get me wrong, they’re quite compact and all the bits like the trays and straps fit into the seat base. But this may be a deal-breaker if you’re space-conscious.
The Boppy brand is well-known and has been around for many years. It’s known for its nursing pillows and not its infant seats but don’t let that make you think they don’t know what they’re doing because they do.
If you’re looking for a space-saving, portable seat then the Boppy Seat may be the one for you. But it also has a few drawbacks such as the cover isn’t removable and so can not be machine washed.
Although, the entire seat can be wiped clean with a damp cloth and some mild detergent.
Personally, I’m a Bumbo advocate and have had one for both my youngest children. They really were an amazing addition to our baby equipment. We took our Bumbo on holiday and often brought it when visiting friends and family.
It’s lightweight and portable enough without needing to fold and the best bit is that all the pieces for into the base so no missing parts. So if I had to pick a winner, mine would be the Bumbo Multi Seat.
The Final Thought
Whichever seat you choose, you will not be disappointed. Both seats have their own pros and cons but at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that the product works for your baby and your family.