Finding the perfect stroller can be a challenge at the best of times. But when you have children with special needs it can seem like an impossible task.
Yet as a parent you understand how the perfect stroller for your special needs child will enable them to explore new places and make the world far more accessible to them.
As a parent, you need options that provide accessibility for your child while still being convenient, sturdy, and easily maneuverable.
Our top pick of strollers for children with special needs is the Kool-Stride Special Needs Stroller. It has an amazing weight capacity and has an all-terrain design.
But if you are looking for some other alternatives check out our top 12 best strollers for special needs children below.
In this article
- Short On Time? Here Are Our Top 3 Choices
- Buying Guide For Strollers For Special Needs Children
- Top 12 Best Strollers For Special Needs Children
- 1. Kool-Stride Special Needs Stroller
- 2. WONDERFOLD 2 Seater Stroller Wagon
- 3. Joovy Caboose Stand-On Tandem Stroller
- 4. Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Stroller
- 5. BOB Revolution Flex 3.0 Jogging Stroller
- 6. Special Tomato EIO Push Chair
- 7. Dream On Me Coast Stroller Rider
- 8. Maclaren Major Elite Push Chair
- 9. Allen Sports Bicycle Trailer and Stroller
- 10. Pockit Lightweight Stoller
- 11. 2018 UPPAbaby G-Luxe Stroller
- 12. Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
Short On Time? Here Are Our Top 3 Choices
|Top||Kool- Stride Special Needs Stroller||Prime||Buy Now|
|WONDERFOLD X2 2 Passenger Push Pull||Prime||Buy Now|
|Joovy Caboose Too Graphite Stand-On Tandem Stroller, Black||Prime||Buy Now|
Buying Guide For Strollers For Special Needs Children
There is an amazing selection of strollers available especially suitable for children with special needs. But with all that choice can leave you overwhelmed.
Children with special needs will more often than not use a stroller much longer than their peers. This may be due to mobility issues such as being unable to walk or unable to walk long distances.
Other children need a safe space to retreat to when they are overwhelmed by their surroundings or a new situation. Many parents want the benefits of a wheelchair without the drawbacks of looking like a wheelchair.
When looking for the perfect stroller for a special needs child there are a few areas that you need to consider such as needing a higher weight limit and having enough room for older children who may be bigger.
The stroller also needs to provide them with comfort and support in order that they can sit for extended periods of time. Parent storage and compact fold were other important factors to consider.
The first thing that you need to consider is what type of stroller is going to suit your family life – if you love the great outdoors, a stroller designed for city life is not going to work.
Some of the most commonly available designs include umbrella strollers, jogging strollers, stroller wagons, and wheelchair-style strollers.
If your family loves to have outdoor adventures you are going to be looking for a stroller such as a jogging stroller as these come with large all-terrain tires, suspension and are comfortable for your child.
If you are going to be traveling you are going to need something lightweight and that has a really compact fold.
You really want to be looking for a stroller that has a larger weight limit as your special needs child will be using their stroller for a longer time than their peers.
Most strollers have an upper weight limit of around 50 pounds. But you ideally want something that goes beyond this. This will depend on the type of stroller you are looking for and how you intend to use it in your family.
View in gallery
Strollers will offer more comfort and support for longer periods of time than a typical wheelchair.
Level of Support
This needs to be a stroller that can match your child’s mobility needs.
The strollers on our list cover a wide range of physical abilities ranging from mild to complex medical needs. Many special needs children can use a stroller that is suitable for older children or has a higher weight limit.
But other children may need more medical support such as full trunk support, head and neck support. Your child’s medical team will be better able to advise you as to what type of support your child is going to need.
Additional features can range from something as simple as a cup holder to something as high-end as an adjustable handlebar.
If you are going to be out for long periods of time then you are going to need good storage options, cell phone pockets, mesh pockets, or under-seat storage.
If there will be more than one person will be using the stroller then an adjustable handlebar is a must. It allows the height to be personalized for each individual making it far more comfortable to push for longer days out.
When it comes to your child’s comfort you are going to be looking for things such as an adjustable footrest, reclining seat, and sunshade.
If you think there is a possibility that your child may fall asleep while in the stroller you want to ensure that they are going to be comfortable, extra padding, support and recline will be key.
Top 12 Best Strollers For Special Needs Children
Comfort, style, and safety are of top priority with this stroller suitable from the age of 5 to young adult and a maximum weight of 150 pounds.
This is a 3 wheeled, hammock-style stroller that is perfect for outdoor use on both smooth and rougher ground.
It’s also perfect for jogging meaning your assisted athlete can now be included in all kinds of activities. It also includes a five-point harness meaning top-notch safety.
This stroller is definitely designed for outdoor living and maybe a little too bulky for indoor use such as stores.
But it does come with an extendable handle, allowing the person pushing to find the perfect height for them. It also comes with a retractable vizor for those sunny days.
Another great feature of this stroller is that the wheels can be removed and it can be folded relatively small allowing for easy storage and transport.
- Can be used on a variety of different terrains ensuring that everyone can be included on trips such as the beach and nature trails.
- The five-point harness brings peace of mind that whoever is using this stroller will be secure and safe.
- The retractable sun canopy makes it perfect for any weather.
- Maximum weight of 150 pounds
- Adjustable handle allowing each person to adjust to their preference.
- A patented fold system allows it to fold flat meaning it is easy to store and transport.
- The stroller is slightly bulky which can make it difficult to take in stores.
- Hard to maneuver around turns.
- No built-in storage or cup holders.
This is a rather non-traditional stroller option. But it works well with an easy folding, wagon-style that makes taking your children out easier than ever.
The removable canopy can be adjusted depending on the weather, the 5 point harness ensures optimal safety and you’ll never be without essentials as this stroller has multiple storage pockets and pouches.
The WONDERFOLD also has a weight capacity of 280 pounds, so whether you are transporting two children or an older special needs child, the capacity of this stroller is unmatched.
The wagon is built with all terrains in mind and so comes with sturdy wheels and also has built-in suspension to ensure the ride is comfortable for all. It has an easy to operate one-step foot brake. No fears of it running away when not in use.
The WONDERFOLD also has an easy one-step folding system making it easy to collapse when not in use and just as easy to set up when it is needed.
- This stroller is easy to steer and of great quality.
- Quick and simple to fold and store.
- This wagon is also available in a 4 seater as well, allowing even more possibilities.
- Weight capacity of 280 pounds.
- All seats come with 5 point harness
- This wagon is unfortunately on the more expensive side.
- Quite bulky even when folded so you will need that space in your vehicle.
- There are quite a few complaints with regard to issues with wheels coming loose whilst in use.
- You will need to consider where you intend to use the wagon as they are not allowed everywhere unlike a typical stroller.
This stroller is brilliant for including everyone in your daily adventures as it has space to hold multiple children of different sizes. It also includes a car seat adapter that fits most well-known brands.
This is a great way to allow your children to feel empowered as they get to choose whether they want to sit, stand or walk with you.
The front seat offers a 5 point harness and is adjustable. The large canopy provides plenty of shade and privacy. If you have a newborn it also comes with universal car seat adaptors which allow you to install an infant car seat.
The rear seat is a bench seat and also comes with a lap belt. It also has a standing platform that is designed for older children.
The addition of this rear seat allows for versatility and is a great feature if you have a child who likes to move from standing to sitting and back again.
Both the front and rear seats have a maximum weight of 45 pounds each. This stroller is quite compact considering it is a two-seater and can easily be folded for storage or transport.
The Joovy Caboose stroller comes with a large under-seat storage basket for all your bits and pieces. But it doesn’t come with a parent cup holder or organizer included on the handlebars.
All the wheels can be locked or swivel and it comes with a rear parking brake.
- Quick and simple to put together.
- This stroller is quite compact and easy to fold for storage.
- The sun canopy is large enough to cover both seats.
- Allows for seating or standing of multiple children.
- Large under-seat storage basket.
- With both seats in the front seat doesn’t recline very far.
- Difficult to turn around tight corners.
- Requires two hands to fold and store, not lightweight at all.
This stroller is not specifically designed for children with special needs but it does have a great weight capacity of 65 pounds. It also offers a seat with plenty of room allowing this stroller to continue being used much longer than a traditional stroller.
The Baby Jogger comes with forever air rubber tires and all-wheel suspension. This means that on the roughest of ground your sleeping child should not be disturbed.
It is also fitted with a 5 point harness ensuring your child is secure at all times. The full-coverage canopy allows you to go anywhere regardless of the weather.
It also has many parent-approved features such as an adjustable handlebar and hand-operated brakes allowing you to have complete control within arms reach.
It also comes with an almost completely flat recline adding further to the comfort and versatility of this stroller.
The Baby Jogger can easily be folded with one hand and is compact when folded so great for easy transport and storage.
The stroller can also be used with an infant car seat meaning that you should be able to use this stroller right from birth and for many years to come.
There are a few accessories that you will more than likely need to purchase such as a child tray and parent console. But the Jogger does come with an extra large storage tray that can hold up to 15 pounds.
- The one-handed, self-folding system makes packing away this stroller simple and quick.
- The seat reclines almost flat so your child can sit in whatever position they find comfortable.
- East to push and turn due to its all-terrain wheels.
- Can easily be carried with the help of a carry strap.
- Weight capacity of 65 pounds.
- Adjustable handlebar allowing for increased comfort for parents.
- This stroller is quite heavy.
- Can be difficult for those petite moms.
- Doesn’t include a snack tray for children.
The BOB Revolution Flex 3.0 Jogging stroller makes traveling across rough terrain easy with its air-filled tires and adjustable handlebars.
This stroller includes a 360° swiveling front wheel, a magnetic peek and chat window, extra storage, and a UPF 50+ canopy ensuring safety and easy usage. If you like to be outdoors then this is the stroller for you.
The BOB has a maximum weight capacity of 165 pounds while still having the ability to maintain a smooth ride. It also comes with an adjustable handlebar making it perfect for parents of different heights.
For added peace of mind, it also comes with a parent wrist band, so there are no worries about the stroller getting away from you.
The BOB seat can be fully reclined and comes with a 5 point safety harness ensuring that your child is safe at all times, especially if you are jogging.
If you are looking for a stroller that has plenty of storage then this is the one for you. It comes with a large storage basket as well as 6 storage pockets. One of these pockets comes with a cell phone pocket and is situated close to the handlebars.
- Easy to maneuver to allow usage anywhere.
- Maximum weight capacity of 165 pounds.
- Multi-terrain wheels allow access to almost anywhere.
- Multiple pockets and storage spaces.
- An adjustable handlebar meaning this stroller can be used by a person of any height.
- When folded down, the stroller is still rather bulky.
- Many complaints about rear wheels not holding air.
- Maybe too bulky for indoor use.
This is the Rolls Royce of special needs strollers. The stroller can provide mild to moderate positioning support within a lightweight and convenient design, ensuring that children are comfortable and well supported.
It comes with an adjustable headrest, footrest, and seatback all of which allow your child to have optimal comfort for their own individual needs. It also comes with hip and torso cushions.
The comfort of the children has been taken into account but so has the comfort of the parent or caregivers. The EIO pushchair comes with a height-adjustable handle and also a great under-seat storage basket.
If your child does need more support then you can also check out the Tomato accessories such as liners and sitters, all designed to increase the comfort of your child.
- Maximum weight capacity of 90 pounds.
- All-terrain swivel front wheels.
- Adjustable handlebar ensuring the comfort of parents or caregivers.
- The entire seat is removable and washable.
- 5 point fully padded harness.
- Adjustable headrest, footrest, and back.
- Included hip and torso cushions offering great support.
- Very large and bulky.
- Some users have reported that the wheels do not swivel as easily as they expected.
The Dream On Me Coast Stroller Rider is a great option for traveling as it is super lightweight. It can also be easily folded with one hand and is small and compact once folded.
One of the best features of this stroller is its multiple uses, a stroller, a scooter, or a rider. All three options offer varying levels of support in a variety of settings. This is a great option if you are trying to avoid the look of a traditional wheelchair.
The seat offers a 5 point harness ensuring your child is safe and secure at all times. The wheels are small making them easy to maneuver in small spaces. it also comes with a height-adjustable handlebar ensuring the comfort of all pushers.
The Dream On Me Coast Stroller is a great convenient option to keep in your car or to take traveling. You can purchase additional connectors to attach to a standard stroller, shopping cart.
- Does not look like a traditional wheelchair.
- Offers multi-purpose options, stroller, scooter, or rider.
- Easy one-handed fold.
- Great compact size for travel and storage.
- Adjustable handlebar
- 5 point harness.
- Maximum weight of 45 pounds.
- Small wheels means it is not suitable for all terrains.
- No storage options.
Specifically designed for special needs children. It has a maximum weight of 110 pounds but is lightweight just like an umbrella stroller.
It comes with a removable footrest and this does need to always be removed before folding. The compact umbrella folds means that this stroller takes up no room at all and only weighs a mere 16 pounds.
It comes with a 5 point harness ensuring your child is safe at all times. The Maclaren comes with small wheels for easy maneuverability but as you guessed it is not designed for rough terrains.
This stroller is a great option for getting around stores or outings on solid smooth surfaces. It does have the feel of a stroller combined with a wheelchair.
- Lightweight at only 16 pounds.
- The compact umbrella fold makes it easy to store.
- Maximum weight capacity of 110 pounds
- Wheels are only suitable for smooth hard surfaces and do not perform well off-road.
- No built-in storage options.
- No adjustment of the seat, it remains full upright at all times.
This is a fantastic dual-purpose carrier that is suitable for older children up to a maximum weight of 50 pounds.
The Allen Sports bicycle trailer and stroller is a great option if you intend to travel where you may be doing both cycling and walking.
It can easily and quickly be converted from a trailer to a stroller by attaching the front swivel wheel where the bike hitch connects. When you are using it as a bicycle trailer it can easily be attached and detached with a quick release.
It comes with a padded 5 point safety harness that will securely hold your child in either stroller or trailer mode. The large front and side windows give the child great visibility to enjoy the sights around them.
Along with an included bug and rain cover giving added protection or privacy allowing you to ensure that your child does not become overstimulated or overwhelmed.
The stroller folds with quick-release wheels making its storage smaller when traveling. The rear wheels are similar to what you will find on a bike making it a good off-road option.
It also has plenty of storage options with two large rear pockets and two smaller internal pockets. If you like the idea of being able to get out and about on your bike then this is definitely going to be the right stroller for you.
- Dual-purpose as either a bike trailer or stroller.
- Padded 5 point harness.
- Easily folds for storage and transport.
- Large rear wheels make it a good option for all terrains.
- Maximum weight is 50 pounds and only room for one child.
- These types of strollers are not always allowed everywhere.
The Pockit Lightweight Stroller is not only a super lightweight stroller weighing just over 9 pounds but it is also easy on your budget.
It is a great option for traveling and has a maximum weight capacity of 55 pounds. It comes with an amazing compact fold that fits into an overhead compartment on a plane.
Although this is another stroller on our list that is not specifically designed for children with special needs it is still a good option for older children. It folds in just two easy steps giving active families a sleek and stylish stroller that is also practical.
It has some other great features such as locking swivel front wheels, brakes on the back wheels, sun canopy, and padded handlebars. The Pockit can also grow with your child thanks to its adjustable harness system.
Granted this is not going to be the right option for many families with children with special needs. But it does offer special needs families a compact, budget-friendly travel stroller.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Offers adjustable harness system.
- Easy to maneuver
- Available in a range of colors.
- Maximum weight limit of just 55 pounds.
- Fixed positioning means no recline option.
The UPPAbaby is a lightweight, umbrella fold stroller that is perfect for everyday use. It has a maximum weight of 55 pounds and comes with a three-position reclining seat and adjustable footrest.
The umbrella fold enables the stroller to stand up on its own making it super easy to tuck away in a closet. When folded the stroller also comes with a carrying strap to pop it over your shoulder.
Other notable features include an extendable sun/wind shade, removable washable fabric, cup holder, and a large undercarriage storage basket. The rear wheels come with an easy to operate the one-step brake.
- Stands unaided while folded, great for easy storage.
- Lightweight and comes with a convenient shoulder strap.
- Undercarriage storage basket.
- Removable cup holder.
- Maximum weight capacity of 55 pounds
- Wheels are not designed for rough terrain including grass or dirt.
This is another great option for active families and this is a pretty lightweight option as far as jogging strollers go, weighing just 25 pounds. It has a maximum weight capacity of 75 pounds and also comes with an adjustable seat.
The Joovy Zoom 360 comes with a parent organizer with two cup holders and a zip pouch. It also comes with a large storage basket under the seats and then additional mesh pockets in the seat providing extra storage.
This is a traditional jogger that comes with built-in suspension and sturdy all-terrain tires. Both of these features help to provide a smooth ride on the roughest of terrain. An extendable shade offers protection from the sun and wind.
The Joovy Zoom does have quite a compact fold but it is still quite large and is going to take up a lot of space.
- Lightweight for a jogger at only 25 pounds.
- Sturdy all-terrain wheels.
- Additional features such as a parent organizer, running leash, and a tire pump included.
- Great storage options both underneath the seat and in the seat.
- Large stroller even when it is folded.
- Maximum weight capacity of 75 pounds.
Does insurance cover special needs stroller?
The majority of the time insurance companies will not deny coverage as long as they have documentation stating the medical necessity of the item.
The stroller should be described as a wheelchair or medical mobility device in all correspondence with the insurance company.
What are the advantages of a special needs stroller over a wheelchair?
Special needs strollers provide better support and comfort for your child. They also offer families greater accessibility to outdoor events where a wheelchair is not suitable due to the terrain. They also allow children to fit in and feel more at ease in public.
At what age should a child stop using a stroller?
There is no right or wrong answer to this question especially when it comes to children with special needs. It will very much be determined by the individual needs of your child.
A stroller is designed to provide greater comfort and support for those who cannot walk on their own. In this day and age, there is no reason that you or your child should miss out on family time where a wheelchair would be unable to safely go.
Is a 5 point harness necessary?
A sturdy harness is important for the safety of your child and you. If you plan on your child spending extended periods of time in a stroller then a good 5 point harness is definitely recommended.
The Final Thought
Being a parent of a child with special needs can be challenging. We hope that by helping you to find the right stroller and accessories it will allow you to rise above those challenges.
The variety of strollers is amazing but often can feel overwhelming. The best advice is to ensure that you research all your options and that you take on board the advice given by your child’s medical team.