So you think you are pregnant and you have purchased a Rexall pregnancy test to confirm your suspicions.
But the most important thing to take into consideration with regard to any pregnancy test is its accuracy. So how accurate is the Rexall pregnancy test?
After all, finding out you are or are not pregnant is a life-changing event. This is why when you are choosing a brand of pregnancy test you need to choose one that is accurate and reliable.
It can be heartbreaking for a woman to receive a false positive from a pregnancy test that she and others have deemed accurate and reliable.
In this article
The Rexall brand dates back over 100 years and has evolved into one of the most reputable pharmacy brands in Canada.
The brand was established at the beginning of the 1900s and is still going strong. Rexall is a popular brand that produces reproductive health items such as pregnancy tests, lubricant jellies, and ovulation tests.
They have been manufacturing pregnancy tests for decades so it is understandable that people feel they are a reliable brand to purchase. But how reliable are they really?
We take an in-depth look at the Rexall pregnancy test and discover how accurate it really is.
The Rexall pregnancy test is a cassette pregnancy test, which means that the strip that detects the pregnancy hormone hCG is inside a plastic case.
These are considered more reliable as an uncovered pregnancy test strip can easily become contaminated from fingerprints and other things.
This test is one of the fastest and user-friendly pregnancy tests. No complicated instructions, no result key to remember it is all there in the instructions.
This kit also offers you multiple ways to test such as midstream or dipping the test strip. It is also one of only a handful of pregnancy tests that can detect early pregnancy.
However, there is a drawback with this brand in that there have been numerous reports of inaccurate results.
So How Does It Work?
Rexall pregnancy test works by detecting the hormone hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin hormone) in your urine.
Once a pregnancy has been conceived, the level of hCG begins to increase, doubling every 48-72 hours and this is the earliest pregnancy sign.
Here are the step by step instructions for the Rexall pregnancy test:
- Carry out the test first thing in the morning using your first urine of the day. This is when your urine is very concentrated and will have the highest level of hCG.
- Do not drink water in the hope that you will create more urine as this will dilute your urine as well as the level of hCG.
- When you are ready open the kit and place the tip of the strip in your stream of urine.
- Ensure that you hold it in the stream for the correct amount of time.
- Keep the kit on a clean flat surface and do not touch the strip.
- The test takes two minutes before you can read the results.
- Ensure to discard the test after use.
How Sensitive Is The Test?
The Rexall pregnancy test can detect hCG at around 20 to 25mlU/ml. The sensitivity of a pregnancy test is determined by the minimum amount of hCG that it can detect. Rexall pregnancy tests are quite sensitive when compared with other brands.
Pros Of The Rexall Pregnancy Test
- It is over 99% accurate
- The test can detect pregnancy five days earlier than most competitor brands.
- The result key is on the pregnancy test.
- Results are ready in two minutes.
- Offers both midstream and dip strip test options.
Cons Of Rexall Pregnancy Test
- It comes as a single test in a pack, offering no way to double-check a result.
- There are numerous reports of inaccurate results.
What Can Affect The Accuracy?
Ultimately the accuracy of this test will be affected by the amount of hCG that there is in your urine. As we have said after conception a woman’s body doubles the level of hCG around every two to three days.
Medications that are used to boost fertility can affect the results of any pregnancy test, not just the Rexall one. This is due to the fact that they contain hCG hormone.
So How Accurate Is The Rexall Pregnancy Test?
The Rexall pregnancy test has an accuracy of over 99% and it can detect pregnancy on the day of your missed period. If you do take the test earlier than the day of your missed period then its accuracy will be compromised.
The results are also dependant on the level of hCG in your urine. So if you produce hCG at a slower rate than normal then it may not be an accurate result.
But the Rexall test does state that you can take the test as early as five days before the day of your missed period.
Precautions To Take When Using The Rexall Pregnancy Test
To ensure that your test is as accurate as possible there are a few precautions that you can take.
- Read all the instructions carefully and thoroughly that come within the pregnancy test kit.
- Make sure that you do not hold the strip or dip it longer than the recommended time
- Read the results within the prescribed time slot.
- If you decide to collect a urine sample ensure that the cup is clean.
- Take the test early in the morning. The pregnancy hormone hCG produced by the body is in very small amounts early in pregnancy. So overnight urine will contain a more concentrated level of hCG.
- Do not allow the kit to stand on a dirty surface that might touch the hCG strip.
The Final Thought
The Rexall pregnancy test is 99% accurate when taken in optimum conditions. It is a very sensitive test as it can detect hCG levels as low as 20 to 25mlU/ml.
This is not as low as some brands but is still a good number to start with. This level of sensitivity should allow for pregnancy to be detected up to 5 days before your missed period.
But of course, the accuracy will very much depend on the level of hCG your body is producing and the rate it is producing it.
Although there have been reports of very faint positive lines, you should note that any type of positive result no matter how faint should then be confirmed with a medical examination.