When you hear punching bags for kids, it will no doubt make you take a second look. Punching bags don’t encourage violence. They provide a way for children to safely work through their emotions as they learn how to cope as they grow.
Another reason that punching bags are great for kids is that for any child that does boxing or any type of martial arts as a hobby, they have to train on their strength and techniques.
These techniques will help them to increase their power, timing, and distance. We’re going to look at some of the best punching bags for kids that are available in 2024.
In this article
- Short On Time? Here Are Our Top 3 Choices
- Things To Consider Before Buying
- Different Types of Punching Bags
- Ease of Use
- Cost of The Punching Bag
- 10 Best Punching Bags For Kids in 2024
- 1. Wavemaster Kid Kick
- 2. RDX Kids Punching Bag Set
- 3. Century Youth V.SPAR
- 4. Everlast Traditional Heavy Bag
- 5. Ringside Boxing Youth Bag Kit
- 6. Bobby Bully
- 7. Eforoutdoor Fitness Punching Bag
- 8. Figolo Punching Bag Set
- 9. Big Time Toys Socker Bopper
- 10. Pure Boxing Tough Guy Inflatable
- The Final Thought
Short On Time? Here Are Our Top 3 Choices
|Century Kid Kick Wavemaster
|RDX Kids Punching Bag Filled Set
|Century Youth V.SPAR.1 Versys Punching Bag, Black/Red
Just remember that children get bored quite quickly. Even though they may have their heart set on a punching bag, they don’t have the discipline of most adults.
You really need to chat with them to find out what their expectations are and then use a mix in some of your parent know-how to make the best choice for them.
So if you’re looking for a punching bag for your kids, then there are a few factors that you should consider before purchasing.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- You’ll need to determine the correct weight and size of the punching bag that your child is going to need.
- You need to determine where the punching bag is going to be situated. Taking into account that there must be enough room to move around the bag.
- What type of punching bag will you be purchasing: a free-standing one or a regular punching bag? This will be determined by the space that you have available and whether or not the punching bag can be left up all the time.
Different Types of Punching Bags
Punching bags come in either the regular version which hangs from above or the freestanding one that comes on a base. Both of these types have their pros and cons.
Free Standing vs Regular Punching Bags
The free-standing punching bags don’t require any mounting so there will be no additional costs for purchasing ceiling mounts and heavy chains.
It’s great if you have limited space as it can be stored away after each training session. Freestanding punching bags come with a stand that’s filled with either water or sand. This is what stops it from falling over.
They’re available as ones that look like a bag on a stand and you can purchase ones that come in the shape of a human. These may be better for children as it may feel more realistic.
View in gallery
When children are seriously training those bags shaped like a human, it can offer them the opportunity to learn how to hit certain pressure points.
The human-shaped bags are made from soft rubber and have more give in it than the traditional leather used for normal punching bags.
Regular punching bags can be quite noisy when in use as they swivel. Although you can purchase a hanging bag spring that’ll absorb the shock and reduce the noise level considerably.
These punching bags are great for active kids and provide them with lots of fun as they feel that they’re in a real fight scenario. When the punching bags are hit, they will naturally swing away from you and then come back.
This gives the child the opportunity to dodge it, kick it, punch it again, or let it pass him by. Regular punching bags also provide more opportunities for children to practice their footwork, bobbing and weaving.
You need to consider carefully how much space you have for the bag to swing without bumping into things. A regular punching bag will swing from side to side and will take up far more space than the freestanding version.
The freestanding versions swing far less and also they are unlikely to cause a noise issue for other people in your house or the neighbors.
Ease of Use
This is all to do with the setup. A freestanding punching bag is going to be far easier to set up than a hanging punching bag.
Freestanding punching bags are relatively easy to set up. You simply fill the base with either sand or water, make sure that the bag part is attached correctly and securely.
There is no drilling or DIY skills required. Now the hanging punching bags are a bit trickier to master. First of all, you will require some sort of beam, a stand or a ceiling mount to hand the bag from.
You will need to ensure that whichever method you choose can actually take the weight of the hanging bag. This is going to be far more difficult to set up than any freestanding one.
View in gallery
This may not be a deciding factor for you right now but a freestanding bag can not take as much power as a hanging punching bag. If it does happen to be struck with a little too much force, there is the chance that it can fall over.
Whereas you wouldn’t have this issue with a hanging bag as it is attached from above and this will allow it to swing from side to side easily.
Cost of The Punching Bag
One of the main factors to consider when purchasing a punching bag for kids is going to be the cost. Although these can be picked up a second hand as it is the kind of item that children either lose interest in.
There are a few other costs that you will need to consider aside from the actual bag.
- You will need to add the cost of any accessories needed such as gloves.
- The cost of hanging the bag if you are purchasing a traditional bag
- Any additional costs for setting up a workout area
10 Best Punching Bags For Kids in 2024
Here are some of the best punching bags for kids that we found both freestanding and regular punching bags.
This is a great way to introduce kids to boxing and other martial arts. It comes with a durable nylon cover that covers a layer of foam that is designed to absorb the impact.
Children will need to be introduced gradually to the punching bag so that they don’t hurt themselves. It also comes with four height adjustments meaning that it should easily be able to grow with your child. This feature also makes it a good value for money.
The low profile base is filled with either sand or water, and the whole unit weighs 170 pounds when fully filled.
- The nylon cover will be gentler on children’s hands than a leather one.
- The impact-absorbing foam will prevent a child from being hurt.
- It comes with four height adjustments
- The base can be filled with water or sand.
- The nylon cover may not be as durable as a leather one.
- This could easily be toppled with a powerful kick
This is a great hanging bag set that is perfect for getting kids started. The bag is made from Maya Hide Leather Technology which makes it durable and long-lasting.
The punching bag is 2 feet high and is around 11-inch diameter. This set includes the bag, hanging chain, and training bag gloves.
- It has a hard-wearing leather cover making it durable
- It comes complete with hanging chains and gloves
- The bag comes with a top zip opening in order that you can adjust the density of the punching bag to suit your individual needs.
- It comes with a leather cover that may be too harsh on young hands.
- This bag does not come pre-filled
Century added this new line of training bags to their range back in 2013. It does cost a bit more than other bags, but it can be used for multiple sports such as Basketball, Football, Wrestling, and Soccer.
It has a low profile base which means it is easily knocked over. Your child would need to train with another person so they can hold the punching bag.
It has great integrated handles on the top of the bag so children can practice working on knee and elbow strikes. The bag is light, weighing in at only 40 pounds.
It could be picked up and tossed down by a child, so they will need plenty of room around them.
- Its lightweight meaning it is super easy to move around
- The low profile base provides protection for children who may give a low kick.
- The bag can be used for training in multiple sports
- It can be used to train in the art of throwing your opponent
- It is on the expensive side
- Will tip over easily
Everlast is one of the leading brands in training products for martial arts. It’s a great regular punching bag for children and weighs in at just around 40 pounds. It does come with the chain attachments for hanging and is fully stuffed ready to use.
Many of the reviews state that because of its lightweight the bag jumps around a lot so a second anchor point at the bottom may be required.
It does come with an anchor point at the bottom so you could use a weight to weigh it down. It also comes with the NeverTear Cover.
- Lightweight weighing in at just 40 pounds so is perfect for children.
- It will help children train on multiply aspects such as footwork, punching, kicking, and coordination.
- Comes with the NeverTear cover making it durable and long lasting.
- It is one of the cheapest hanging bags on the market.
- Many reviews state that after only a short period of use there are issues with stitching coming undone.
This set is aimed at very young children aged 2 – 5 years old. This is a great set for beginners as it comes complete with gloves and headgear.
The bag only weighs around 2 pounds so is perfect for this age group. It has a vinyl cover with a layer of foam padding to absorb the impact. This set is also available in three different colors.
- Lightweight and perfect for the age group it is aimed at.
- Comes with gloves and headgear
- Available in 3 different colors
- Is pre-filled
- The punching bag is very small and could do with being a bit bigger
- Some issues with the glove design that the hole for the thumb is too small for even a small child.
- Terrible customer services
- Due to its size, it will have a short lifespan
6. Bobby Bully
This freestanding punching bag is designed to help children train on targeting certain areas on the body. The Bobby Bully comes with a realistic skin shell and is quite soft to punch.
This means it can be used with or without gloves. It comes with an adjustable height system ranging from 50 inches to 55 inches high.
The suitability of this punching bag is going to depend on the height of your child but should be suitable from 5 years upwards.
The base can be filled with either sand or water. When the base is fully filled, the punching bag weighs in at around 170 pounds in total.
- Comes pre-filled
- Very durable
- Height adjustment
- Fairly expensive freestanding bag
- Does not come with gloves
This is an inflatable freestanding punching bag designed for kids. Despite being very well made, it is really made for toddlers. This punching bag comes with a variety of numbered targets printed on.
This allows children to practice their striking accuracy at various heights. This bag has a great motion once it has been hit which will help your child develop their movement and timing.
The base can be filled with either water or sand and provides a stable enough base to allow the bag to swing back and forth without toppling over.
It is lightweight so can easily be moved around when not in use. This would be a great punching bag for kids but just remember that one tear and it would be useless.
- Lightweight so super easy to move and store
- The bag has a great bounce back when struck
- Numbered targets allow children to develop their striking skills at different heights
- No height adjustment
- Have to be careful as the material is not as durable as some other punching bags.
This bag comes empty and can be filled with anything from sand to old clothes. It comes with a hanging chain and a strong hook for hanging.
The bag is made from anti-burst PU leather which has a smooth surface and is soft enough for children to use safely. The bag is durable and easy to clean.
- Durable and long-lasting
- Zip closure for easy filling
- Made from PU leather
- Comes with hanging kit
- It is not filled
- Would need to purchase gloves separately.
This is a toy grade model. It’s a very cheap punching bag for kids. Be prepared that you get what you pay for. But even with its price, it still offers a sturdy punching bag.
It has a weighted base that allows the bag to swing back and forth when punched. It will not hurt your child when they punch it and neither will they require gloves for this particular punching bag.
There are various phrases dotted around the bag allowing you to run some fun drills and helping them to develop their hand-eye coordination and reflexes. This is a great way to get your child started before paying out for a more expensive version.
- Really affordable
- Super easy to set up
- No gloves required
- If the bag gets a tear it is useless
- It is only a toy so not very durable
This inflatable stands 56 inches tall and is recommended for ages 6 plus. It has a tough guy lifelike graphics printed on it for some added fun.
The base can be filled with water or sand allowing for a great bounce back. This will help to increase coordination and agility. It is made form a vinyl so there are no gloves required.
- Relatively inexpensive
- Good first punching bag for little ones
- Not very durable at all
- Suitable for a lower age range
- Difficult to move once the base is filled with sand or water
- Too tall for children standing at around 65 inches tall
- Many reviews complaining of slow leaks after minimal use
The Final Thought
It’s fantastic for children to have an interest in keeping fit and healthy. This kind of exercise is fun to little ones so they’re more likely to continue with it.
It’s also a good way to introduce them to different sports such as boxing or martial arts before paying out for all the kit that they’ll use for a month and never be looked at again.
The punching bags we have chosen offer a good range of types and budgets so you’re sure to find one that is suitable for your needs.
Our favorite punching bag is the Wavemaster Kid Kick which offers easy installation as it is freestanding. It comes with four height adjustments ensuring that it can be used for many years to come.
It comes with a nylon cover that is gentle on children’s hands and also has a foam layer for impact absorption. I think that this would be a great option for those budding boxers, martial art experts or just having fun and keeping fit.
Whichever option you decide on, ensure that it’s suitable for your child and the space that you have available in your home. Happy punching!